We lost a barred rock - splay leg

Pics
It sounds like you have the temps adjusted now.

I'm sorry that your chick died. Sometimes when one has leg issues they fail to thrive.

The Wyandotte that is having problems now - is she pooping? Get some photos in natural lighting of her poop.
I'd continue to get her hydrated and see if she will eat some wet mushy feed.
Poultry Nutri-Drench like you have been giving is good stuff for a quick uptake. Give her 2-3 drops twice a day. I'd be inclined to get a bottle of human B-Complex and give to the ones that are not doing all that well. PND does not contain B2(Riboflavin) which is helpful leg health.

Hopefully things will turn around for you.

It sounds like you have the temps adjusted now.

I'm sorry that your chick died. Sometimes when one has leg issues they fail to thrive.

The Wyandotte that is having problems now - is she pooping? Get some photos in natural lighting of her poop.
I'd continue to get her hydrated and see if she will eat some wet mushy feed.
Poultry Nutri-Drench like you have been giving is good stuff for a quick uptake. Give her 2-3 drops twice a day. I'd be inclined to get a bottle of human B-Complex and give to the ones that are not doing all that well. PND does not contain B2(Riboflavin) which is helpful leg health.

Hopefully things will turn around for you.
No, she's not pooping (at least not that I know of since she's under the heat panel with the rest of the flock. The heat panel is 92-97 degrees. We are giving her the egg/electrolyte mix about every hour. This last feeding she did look like she was swallowing it, but she doesn't keep her eyes open long. Should the nutridrench be full strength? Liquid B-complex? I have the electrolyte and the nutridrench (watered down to recommended mix) in the brooder for any that want to drink. I see some of them drinking both. Plus I have plain water, which they all seem to drink. Thanks for your expert advice. I hope we can save her, since we only got 3 Wyandottes. Both of the sick chicks, the barred rock that died and the Wyandotte, were the runts. And both were the ones we had to wash the pasty butts and apply vasoline around the vent. I sure hope we can save this one.

No, she's not pooping (at least not that I know of since she's under the heat panel with the rest of the flock. The heat panel is 92-97 degrees. We are giving her the egg/electrolyte mix about every hour. This last feeding she did look like she was swallowing it, but she doesn't keep her eyes open long. Should the nutridrench be full strength? Liquid B-complex? I have the electrolyte and the nutridrench (watered down to recommended mix) in the brooder for any that want to drink. I see some of them drinking both. Plus I have plain water, which they all seem to drink. Thanks for your expert advice. I hope we can save her, since we only got 3 Wyandottes. Both of the sick chicks, the barred rock that died and the Wyandotte, were the runts. And both were the ones we had to wash the pasty butts and apply vasoline around the vent. I sure hope we can save this one.
Do they seem all satisfied with the heat panel?

Yes, I would give the PND undiluted - 2 or 3 drops twice a day. You can use liquid B-Complex if you wish, I'd only give 1-2 drops for a chick that small.

Is her vent pasted over? Not pooping is very concerning. Work on getting the fluids into her.
Sometimes the little runty ones don't make it, but they can surprise you too.

Do they seem all satisfied with the heat panel?

Yes, I would give the PND undiluted - 2 or 3 drops twice a day. You can use liquid B-Complex if you wish, I'd only give 1-2 drops for a chick that small.

Is her vent pasted over? Not pooping is very concerning. Work on getting the fluids into her.
Sometimes the little runty ones don't make it, but they can surprise you too.
Thanks Wyorp Rock for your help in trying to save one of our little Wyandottes. Unfortunately, we went out to give her the straight nutridrench as you suggested, and she had passed. Apparently, because she was so weak and listless, she was piled on under the heat panel and suffocated. I put two panels together yesterday and raised them a bit to get the temp 92-96, which really stabilized the temp and gave them more room to sleep. This morning, everyone was really energetic, drinking the water, electrolyte, and nutridrench we mixed in separate bowls, eating, and climbing to the top of the perch and flying down. Both chicks we lost had pasty butt, but not severe or covering their vent. I hope the decrease in temp will help with this. None of the other chicks have gotten pasty butt. Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to help us. Tomorrow they will be one week old.

I agree with the others. Only use the heat plates and yes 72 is perfectly fine for a cool spot. I brood out in a barn with a heat plate and the only time I turn on a heat lamp is over their food/water when it's below 45 degrees in the barn. They are in a 10x10 brooder room that they have complete access to and from day one their hottest spot is 90 degrees max. Even at a couple of days old they are often romping around and playing completely outside of any heat even when it's 45 degrees outside. The only chick deaths I have had are those that arrived dead or arrived completely lethargic (shipping stress deaths all within 24 hours of arrival no deaths after that). Chickens will brood even in cold weather and once the chicks hatch they do not sit under the broody hen all of the time often being out and about with her foraging.
I do the same thing, esp when I do not have a brody hen. One heat lamp , temp at 90 aprox in lamp area, large pen 7by7, in my barn, if it get really cold, I hang quilts on the fencing and over the top. But, that is unusual, never lost a chick this way. Yes, also, the chicks by day 2 or 3 will be out and not under a broody all the time. Too hot is much worse then a bit of cold air.

Back
Top Bottom