Mccollumhomestead

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2023
Hi! I have 3 day old chicks. Right away I noticed my black silkie wasn’t putting much wight on her right leg, even keeping it a tad stretched out. Could this be a minor case of splayed leg? I have been trying to treat using vet tape wrapped around legs but still looks the same when we take it off to check. But now I’m second guessing if it even is splayed leg at all? She eats and drinks just fine. Will lose footing here and there. But any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 6
That looks more like a slipped tendon. It is not always successfully treated, but you can try to get the tendon back in place and splint it. Many people find that tape and vet wrap can become too tight and can cut off circulation to the foot, so be careful. I probably would try it, or just let the chick try to get around on its own without splinting, and see if it can get enough to eat and drink. Here is an article that explains how to find a slipped tendon and put it back into place:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Back
Top Bottom