We lost a barred rock - splay leg

I would definitely get rid of the heat lamp and just keep the heat panel. Anything above 95 is too hot.
As for the weak chick, you can also try mixing the electrolyte (or nutri drench) mixture with some egg yolk. I had a chick with splay leg who lived on the egg yolk/electrolyte mixture for 2 days before eventually eating normal chick crumble (she’s now a healthy gorgeous laying salmon faverolles hen). I fed her with a little syringe (no needle). I carefully dripped the mixture on the side of her beak and she drank it on her own so she wouldn’t aspirate. I gave her about .3ml every hour or so.

I would definitely get rid of the heat lamp and just keep the heat panel. Anything above 95 is too hot.
As for the weak chick, you can also try mixing the electrolyte (or nutri drench) mixture with some egg yolk. I had a chick with splay leg who lived on the egg yolk/electrolyte mixture for 2 days before eventually eating normal chick crumble (she’s now a healthy gorgeous laying salmon faverolles hen). I fed her with a little syringe (no needle). I carefully dripped the mixture on the side of her beak and she drank it on her own so she wouldn’t aspirate. I gave her about .3ml every hour or so.
Cooked egg yoke? We'll try that, since I don't want her getting too weak from not eating or drinking.

Cooked egg yoke? We'll try that, since I don't want her getting too weak from not eating or drinking.
No just raw egg yolk! I mixed a very tiny pinch (barley anything for just one chick) of electrolyte powder with the egg yolk and thinned it out with a tiny bit of water to make it easier to drip onto the side of her beak.

I agree with the others. Only use the heat plates and yes 72 is perfectly fine for a cool spot. I brood out in a barn with a heat plate and the only time I turn on a heat lamp is over their food/water when it's below 45 degrees in the barn. They are in a 10x10 brooder room that they have complete access to and from day one their hottest spot is 90 degrees max. Even at a couple of days old they are often romping around and playing completely outside of any heat even when it's 45 degrees outside. The only chick deaths I have had are those that arrived dead or arrived completely lethargic (shipping stress deaths all within 24 hours of arrival no deaths after that). Chickens will brood even in cold weather and once the chicks hatch they do not sit under the broody hen all of the time often being out and about with her foraging.

No just raw egg yolk! I mixed a very tiny pinch (barley anything for just one chick) of electrolyte powder with the egg yolk and thinned it out with a tiny bit of water to make it easier to drip onto the side of her beak.
CMC, thank you so much for this advice. We mixed the raw egg and electrolyte and water, and fed her on the side of her beak. She immediately started taking it in, and we ended up giving her .7 mL and we're letting her rest now. We'll give her more in a bit. The heat is now 91 under the plate. Is that too cool? We've noticed that since we turned off the heat lamp that they all gather under the panel. then they will go out to the cool spot to eat and drink. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom