We lost a barred rock - splay leg

Here's another picture
IMG_3592.JPG

Even still, 102 is way too hot. I would take the heat lamp out. They don’t need it.
We've adjusted the heat lamp up so that it's about 96 directly under the lamp. Every article we read says have the temp at 105-95 degrees. They seem to like the warmth under the lamp, because after they gorge on food and water, they go over under the lamp and just pancake out asleep.

We've adjusted the heat lamp up so that it's about 96 directly under the lamp. Every article we read says have the temp at 105-95 degrees. They seem to like the warmth under the lamp, because after they gorge on food and water, they go overt under the lamp and just pancake out asleep.
Whoever told you 105 is completely wrong. That is WAY too hot and too much heat can actually cause pasty butt as well. They also do not need both. One is plenty. And I’ve raised chicks outside with just a heat plate and they’ve been perfectly fine. Even when it’s somewhat chilly out. I’ve never used a heat lamp and all my chicks have been completely happy any healthy. Not that heat lamps are necessarily bad but you need to choose one or the other. Both is not necessary nor is it good for them.

Whoever told you 105 is completely wrong. That is WAY too hot and too much heat can actually cause pasty butt as well. They also do not need both. One is plenty. And I’ve raised chicks outside with just a heat plate and they’ve been perfectly fine. Even when it’s somewhat chilly out. I’ve never used a heat lamp and all my chicks have been completely happy any healthy. Not that heat lamps are necessarily bad but you need to choose one or the other. Both is not necessary nor is it good for them.
Agreed!

I was just following the suggestions on BYC and what I'd read other places, which suggested 95-105. The Wyandotte is listless, not eating OR drinking. She's under the panel right now. Is there any "pick-me-up" I can give her? All the rest of the chicks are active, perching, eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom