We lost one. :(

rookiechk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Came home to find that something had attacked one of our girls. she had bite marks on the sides of her neck. They have a habit of sticking their little heads out of the pen to peck at things outside so it could have been our little dog Thrall but he's never messed with them before. We've actually been letting them forage with supervision and Thrall never tries to get at them. The other girls were huddled on the other side of the pen in a corner. Their food and water bowls were turned over. At first I thought something had gotten through but I couldn't find a hole. I guess maybe the other girls turned them over in a panic. I never thought I'd be so upset over loosing a chicken but I'm very sad. Our little group is now down to three.
hit.gif

They certainly do. Im scared for our other girls. I'll have to have a good look tomorrow and see what can be done. I'd hate to loose anymore. I was sure that if anything killed them it was gonna be a newbie mistake from me .

I'm so sorry to hear about your chick. I think you should fit some fine mesh or hardware cloth around their pen, up to about 30 inches high. This will stop them sticking their heads out and it will also stop creatures (like raccoons) reaching in and grabbing them.

Thank you Sumi. That sounds like a good idea. I'll be making a trip to get that today.

Back
Top Bottom