We lost one

bbRedMom

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
Central Arkansas
Lil' Bit is dead. Apparently she died giving birth. I gotta get home and see what happened. She wasn't supposed to birth for another three weeks.

Donnie says her body is stiff, so it must have happened this morning. Which means I can't even save the babies.

Damn it.

Awwww...so sorry.
sad.png

..ooh my gosh!!..i'm so sorry to hear this!..poor lil bit!...
hit.gif
...so sorry for your loss..
sad.png
..Wendy

Ok, Im home, and I think I know what happened.

Apparently this morning, not long after I left, one or more large dogs dug under our fence and attacked the goats. Lil' Bit died quickly, probably from a heart attack or something internal-her wounds were superficial and minor.

Jack has a large portion missing from his back thigh, outlining the size of the dogs mouth. I measured and it is much larger than any of my dogs. He also has hundreds of little nips taken from his flanks, belly, and back. He is staying at the vets, and is touch and go. His temp is up to normal, but flies laid eggs in the wound, and they are worried about the flesh dying. I'll know more tomorrow.

Rosie, who is a giant goat, is absolutely fine physically. She is very shaken up, and visibly nervous.

The goats liked to graze in the front meadow. Most of the dogs were probably asleep on the porch. Sophie stayed with Lil Bit constantly.

Both Sophie and Raymond show signs of fighting, so I'm sure they drove the dogs away. Luckily, they weren't harmed beyond loss of hair and some soreness.

I'm glad I left all four dogs out with goats. I though about leaving them in, but I dont want to think about what could have happened if the dogs weren't there.

There are pit/lab/boxer mixes next door that run loose. They are my primary suspects, but there are so many packs of dogs out here, it could have been any pack.

tomorrow we bring home my dad's rifle. I naively thought that since We had a fence, we didn't need a gun. Stupid me.

Thanks for reading. Pray for Jack, he needs it.

Back
Top Bottom