We lost three

Catherine29

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2018
unfortunately we lost three baby chicks yesterday. We thought that it might have been a temperature issue but they seem happy eatting and drinking and running around , the three died with in hours of each other not sure what happened. The place we purchased them from will be replacing the three but it’s still really sad. I hope I’m doing everything right for them

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss. :(

So many possibilities... where did you get them and how old were they? How long have you had them?

Warm dry bedding with enough space... with chick food and water at a cooler spot... really is about all you can do for the very young ones. In addition to checking for pasty butt regularly.

For bantams I crush my feed a little extra for the first week or so. And I REALLY like to use electrolyte/vitamin water for my first drinker full. Poultry nutri drench (feed store or Amazon) is pricey but very helpful at times. Anybody who seems sleepier or weaker than others will get a drop straight to the beak. I have other liquid bird vitamins (from pet department) that work well also, but don't contain amino acids like the PND does.

If from the feed store... all their chicks are shipped. Simple electrolyte recipe to aid recovery is... 2 cups warm water (to dissolve), 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon EACH salt and baking soda. Stir until dissolved and serve full strength. Add the liquid vitamins if you have them.

However, even when you do your best... not all chicks will make it. Sometimes you can't tell that until their yolk is absorbed and no longer influencing them.

Hope your new additions and your others thrive! :fl

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss. :(

So many possibilities... where did you get them and how old were they? How long have you had them?

Warm dry bedding with enough space... with chick food and water at a cooler spot... really is about all you can do for the very young ones. In addition to checking for pasty butt regularly.

For bantams I crush my feed a little extra for the first week or so. And I REALLY like to use electrolyte/vitamin water for my first drinker full. Poultry nutri drench (feed store or Amazon) is pricey but very helpful at times. Anybody who seems sleepier or weaker than others will get a drop straight to the beak. I have other liquid bird vitamins (from pet department) that work well also, but don't contain amino acids like the PND does.

If from the feed store... all their chicks are shipped. Simple electrolyte recipe to aid recovery is... 2 cups warm water (to dissolve), 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon EACH salt and baking soda. Stir until dissolved and serve full strength. Add the liquid vitamins if you have them.

However, even when you do your best... not all chicks will make it. Sometimes you can't tell that until their yolk is absorbed and no longer influencing them.

Hope your new additions and your others thrive! :fl

Thanks , we got them from Royal king. Apparently after talking to them they are getting a lot of calls about people losing chicks . We think the ones who does are about a week old the others we believe are older maybe 2 weeks

Thanks , we got them from Royal king. Apparently after talking to them they are getting a lot of calls about people losing chicks . We think the ones who does are about a week old the others we believe are older maybe 2 weeks
Probably poor nutrition of parent stock adding to unseen genetic deficits, in addition to the shipping stress. :hmm

"Kinda" glad to hear it isn't just yours. :)

:welcome Sorry for your loss:(

I lost my 4 healthy looking wellsummers out of 13 total chicks, within 4 days. No problems with them, eating, drinking like the rest, running around, no pasty butt, using the mama heat pad. I've used the same set up before. It just happens sometimes, I figured they had some internal issues already. I got them from Southern States.

We went back to royal king last night and the guy have us 5 more , they are a little older and where doing fine this morning so hopefully I don’t lose anymore. We now have eleven chicks

Just lost 2 baby chicks today. They were doing fine this morning it was a nice day. I put them out in there cage. They were excited to see the last set of chicks. I went out came back. 2 of them were just died.

:welcome Sorry for your loss:(

I lost my 4 healthy looking wellsummers out of 13 total chicks, within 4 days. No problems with them, eating, drinking like the rest, running around, no pasty butt, using the mama heat pad. I've used the same set up before. It just happens sometimes, I figured they had some internal issues already. I got them from Southern States.
that’s just how it is sometimes. I did the same things and I lost 2 out of three. I have one fighting for its life.

Back
Top Bottom