We Love Camelids!

Oh my goodness
sad.png
Those poor babies!! Boy are they lucky you got them out of there... Irresponsible owners/breeders like that should not be allowed to have animals.
Glad to hear that little Ebony is doing better now!
It was a weird situation. From what I got out of her, she got the baby from her friend who said she was born out in the pasture 12/31. A lot of people around this area just seem to have llamas and let them just run feral, idk. Anyway, the mom wasn't anywhere to be found....which is probably true? So he gave it to this older lady to see if she out and I think she was maybe just uninformed? on what she actually needed and how long, but I guess she was able to keep her alive till I got her.

So I don't know, it definitely wasn't a good situation for Ebony. That's all of course assuming that that story is true, because she never mentioned anything about her eye infection or cut ear before I made the 3 hr. trip to get them.

So excited for tomorrow, it will be the first day that they get to go out and about outside....first nice day for along time and I can supervise.

We also send the fiber to a mill to be processed into yarn- keeping the alpacas clean before that is mostly just a "cross your fingers they don't roll in any mud" sort of deal! After shearing, I spend a good deal of time going through each fleece and picking out the hay/shaking out the dirt. The mill also washes the fiber before it is spun.

It sounds like you and Ladyhawke have come a long way together! If I'm ever getting spit at for seemingly no reason I also stand my ground, but also put up one hand in front of their face (like I'm stopping traffic) and say "No," which usually works.
Yes, I usually hold a hand up just to keep it off my face. I haven't tried the No but just stand my ground and try not to get mad back at them. I know they are just afraid of something but boy oh boy sometimes I just want to ring their neck and I know that is the totally wrong response.
somad.gif
Instead I usually wait until they calm down, go about what ever I have to do, but I don't work that girl that day because I know I am in a bad frame of mind after that and she is too.

It was a weird situation. From what I got out of her, she got the baby from her friend who said she was born out in the pasture 12/31. A lot of people around this area just seem to have llamas and let them just run feral, idk. Anyway, the mom wasn't anywhere to be found....which is probably true? So he gave it to this older lady to see if she out and I think she was maybe just uninformed? on what she actually needed and how long, but I guess she was able to keep her alive till I got her.

So I don't know, it definitely wasn't a good situation for Ebony. That's all of course assuming that that story is true, because she never mentioned anything about her eye infection or cut ear before I made the 3 hr. trip to get them.

So excited for tomorrow, it will be the first day that they get to go out and about outside....first nice day for along time and I can supervise.
So glad you rescued your babies! They are adorable. Hope you have a nice outing tomorrow. We are supposed to have very nice weather so I plan to spend a bit of time with the herd to remind them it is okay if I am in their space and touching them.
big_smile.png

I really need to get in the pen and work with mine but our weather has gone from freezing to wet. My last day at work is Wednesday so I hope I can begin a more regular training routein, of course I really think they are training me! I am just working in the dark!:idunno

That's exciting. I'd like to do that. How do you get them accustomed to the crowd and the noise?
We usally bring a couple extra to walk with so they are not alone. Another thing is peppermints. We put them in our mouths so when they start to fuss we gently blow some of the peppermint smelling air. For some reason, it calms them down. Another thing is that you just need to work with them, being it showing or just walking them with your and freinds.

Well, in a few days they will be getting more attention. They were very put out with me today as we were terring apart and cleaning the chicken coop and paying them no attention. :lau

My horses do the same thing to thair stalls when they need cleaned.
gig.gif

The parade was over around 3:30. I had to WALK the way back to the barn (not mine). I walked 3.3 miles in 2 hours.
th.gif

That is probably why when I got home I was about to pass out. I also had a spliting headeche. But all that said, this was the best parade by far.

Glad you had a good time at the parade, even if you are exhausted.

I've got 3 more days of work!
wee.gif

and, it is supposed to rain on Wednesday.
th.gif

Hopefully it won't be heavy rain, we are still doing some coop modifications and everything is still just squishy from previous rain. I need to pick up some fresh hay/straw for the llama sheds too. Of course, now it is warm enough, they are just laying in the rain anyway.
idunno.gif

So I'm going to start trying to halter train each of the girls, should be interesting. Ebony is always close by and is easy to catch and touch. Lola on the other hand, likes to stay an arms reach away. So I suppose I'll put her into one of the stalls to start catching her. Probably just start of with just that, walking up and standing next to her for awhile? Bride with treats? Then just putting the halter on her face, after a couple days of just being able to come up to her? Any one have experience with this? I have watched a couple videos by gentile sprit? (I think that's what they're called) and will probably watch them again though it seems the llama in the video doesn't mind being touched.

Back
Top Bottom