We made the front page....and I need help

Sonia

Songster
11 Years
Apr 19, 2008
SE Oklahoma
I don't know if you all remember but I was putting in an application to keep one chicken and one rabbit as housepets in my town. I got a letter monday telling me that the permit had been denied. This morning when I walked my kids to school I was informed that we made the front page.

http://www.titusvilleherald.com/articles/2008/09/24/news/news03.txt

Now we were keeping them in large dog crates with some free roaming time in the house and on the porch (which is screened in). They make it sound like I was letting them run rampant through the schools.

I will be appealing and could use any advice you can give me also letters to the editor and/or the board of health would be greatly appreciated!

ETA:At this time would you all please refrain from giving the link to this site? I need to be able to ask advice here freely at least until I know what to do.

Last edited:
That is unbelievable!!!!!!! Your dealing with some amazingly ignorant people
th.gif

Agreed. I want to appeal but I'm not sure what all I need to do and that article was just way out there. BTW I was right here the whole time.....no one tried to reach me for comment and I wasn't told about the meeting.

Quote:
Does that paper have an editorial section you can write to? If you would like to get your word in there, you could try doing that. I would have to set it straight.

Quote:
Does that paper have an editorial section you can write to? If you would like to get your word in there, you could try doing that. I would have to set it straight.

I agree. If you don't want your name tied with it (due to the appeal) you could ask a friend to send it in.

If the animals would be on your porch, how could they possibly get to school? Take the bus? These people are
duc.gif
! Who ever thought one would have to apply with a government office to keep a pet in one's home? Its not cows or horses, its little ol' chicken and rabbit!

Time to pack bags and move to the country!
wink.png

Yep and some members of this forum are already writing in. I plan on getting ahold of one of the reporters there and stating my piece too.

Quote:
Also they were only on the porch for a little bit of time with us out there with them.

I just noticed that you can leave comments about the story itself on the website as well.

Last edited:
I really don't know what to say...that is such a crazy article...nothing in it makes sense! You have to be given a notice. And shouldn't it be the Zoning people, not the School Health Department that you meet before? It's a Zoning issue!
th.gif

Oh...but you know what? I've heard of those vicious feral packs of bunnies and chickies running rampant through the school attacking students and teachers...I see their point!
barnie.gif

Good luck with this! In your appeal, you need to be sure and mention that you were never contacted about the meeting or by the media. I am not sure why you have to have a permit for a rabbit...are they not considered pets where you are?
hu.gif

Just remember, we're all supporting you!
hugs.gif

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom