We Need a Miracle UPDATED : He didn't make it. RIP Luke

ChicknThief

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Last weekend, my dog Luke had to have emergency surgery to remove a 50' section of bungee rope from his stomach. (Not the thick stuff, it was basically a 50' hairtie). He seemed to recover after the surgery, but he has refused to eat, and hasn't eaten since almost a week before his surgery. He has gone downhill fast in the last day and a half. Yesterday morning he was unable to move and his breathing was painful and labored. We rushed him to the vet, but the vet could find nothing wrong. He kept trying to put an IV in Luke for the sake of fluids, but Luke kept pulling them out.

I got a call last night that his kidneys are failing, and his white blood cell count is above 26,000. They have no idea where the infection is, and they can't seem to get his count down. Unless he gets a miracle by tomorrow night, he will need to be put down.

If you pray, please pray for Luke. That silly little Sheltie was the only thing that kept me sane while we were living with my physically abusive step father and my mother was simultaneously going through cancer treatment. He slept in my bed every night. That boy is my guardian angel. I would be lost without him
hit.gif

Last edited:
I don't know what to say, other than I am so sorry that it is happening this way. He sounds like a wonderful dog.

hugs.gif

Good news! Sort of. Our vet looked and the barium x-ray again and found a leak! This could be caused by one of two things. Either a stitch popped, or he has a section of dead intestine. The vet said that when he closed Luke up, all of his intestine were pink and slimy and healthy, so most likely it's just a popped stitch. He also thinks that his renal failure is entirely due to the leak and not chronic in nature. In short, Luke actually has a shot now! There is now hope where before there was none.

He is not quite out of the woods yet though. The leak is right by his pancreas, and his pancreatic levels are through the roof. And he still has a raging infection. But he has been on antibiotics for more than 24 hours now. I can barely breath. I almost don't want to hope for this. I don't think I can handle getting my hopes up only to have him pass away....

Poor Luke! So glad to hear the vet was able to find out what went wrong! He is in our prayers for a speedy recovery!

Luke was supposed to come out of surgery an hour ago and we still haven't heard from the vet!
barnie.gif
I am coming out of my skin!

Back
Top Bottom