We picked up 5 chickens last night and idea on breed or age or how long before they will start lay

Trixy318

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
Glendale , AZ

We picked up 5 chickens last night and idea on breed or age or how long before they will start laying , since they dont start after moving .. not sure What they were feeding them our ducks ,goose n turkey eat turkey gtrown feed and we introduce new foods they are really hard to get them to try fresh grasses and lettuces and seeds. Not sure what these chickens were fed. they are smaller chickens and say they are layers .. I'll take some pics and post so any inof would be appreciated .. I know they must be happier since they have ten times the room they had before and large outside area to hand out and graze they are sweet and seem hand raised. Our Easter egger and roch took like amonth before they started laying and we lost them a couple days later due to heat.
So we will runout today and buy them some cracked corn but I also have dried meal worms and lettuce any other suggestions they seem happy and calm there pen is next to our our duck, turkey, goose pen these mixed pets are a flock in themselves since all raised together since hatch-lings .. There may be a rooster in this mix too so I will post pictures and if anyone can help I'd appreciate it .They are smaller chicken and I plan to still pick up a couple Easter eggers or another really solid breed of layinhg chickens . these look to be bantams to me ? But Im not sure ..Bare with me and my ADHD as I go from one thing to another peeps I skip taking my adderal on non workdays !! I will take and upload pics of our new gals today and I'm sure one of you can help advise as to what breed they are they do not look old and seem healthy too. I had no idea chickens don't lay eggs for very long ?
How long is average laying life of a chicken ? WE have allot to learn still.. So I'm very glad I found this site !

I hope to hear from someone soon ...
Trixy

Last edited:
We picked up 5 chickens last night and idea on breed or age or how long before they will start laying , since they dont start after moving .. not sure What they were feeding them our ducks ,goose n turkey eat turkey gtrown feed and we introduce new foods they are really hard to get them to try fresh grasses and lettuces and seeds. Not sure what these chickens were fed. they are smaller chickens and say they are layers .. I'll take some pics and post so any inof would be appreciated .. I know they must be happier since they have ten times the room they had before and large outside area to hand out and graze they are sweet and seem hand raised. Our Easter egger and roch took like amonth before they started laying and we lost them a couple days later due to heat.
So we will runout today and buy them some cracked corn but I also have dried meal worms and lettuce any other suggestions they seem happy and calm there pen is next to our our duck, turkey, goose pen these mixed pets are a flock in themselves since all raised together since hatch-lings .. There may be a rooster in this mix too so I will post pictures and if anyone can help I'd appreciate it .They are smaller chicken and I plan to still pick up a couple Easter eggers or another really solid breed of layinhg chickens . these look to be bantams to me ? But Im not sure ..Bare with me and my ADHD as I go from one thing to another peeps I skip taking my adderal on non workdays !! I will take and upload pics of our new gals today and I'm sure one of you can help advise as to what breed they are they do not look old and seem healthy too. I had no idea chickens don't lay eggs for very long ?
How long is average laying life of a chicken ? WE have allot to learn still.. So I'm very glad I found this site !

I hope to hear from someone soon ...
Trixy

I can't really tell the breed, gender, and health of your birds until you post photos. The birds might be small because of their breed (egg layers like leghorns are lighter in build), because they weren't fed enough, or because they are bantams. Bantams are smaller versions of large-fowl chickens, usually 1/4 to 1/3 the size of their larger cousins. They make great pets and showbirds, though of course, because of their size, their eggs are small.

If the chicken's you're getting are older than 18 weeks of age and/or are laying, their main diet should be a commercial layer feed. They will happily get part of their nutrition from table scraps, plants, treats (corn, mealworms, bread, etc.), but to ensure proper health and egg production, these foods should not make up their main diet. It is also a good idea to provide laying hens with crushed oyster shell or ground up egg shell in order to make sure they're getting enough calcium to lay strong-shelled eggs.

Chickens can live (unless they are slaughtered or die because of natural causes before then) for 5-8 years. They will lay for most of their life, but egg production is at its highest from 1-3 years of age. After that, even though they will still lay, egg production will be greatly reduced.

Last edited:
I think they are bantams we found 1 eggs right after I posted . My better half sent them to me since I dropped my cell in washing machine Thursday morning my new one should arrive tomorrow. I have another bantam Sam he's still juvenile and has bonded with a wild Grackle I saved as a hatching .. rather funny how close they are . They are all out on patio out of acges enjoying this beautiful day and Lucky the grackie has no desire to leave home . We have a VERY mixed flock with 2 turkeys one African goose 2 peking ducks , 6 s=chickens , a African grey parrot and cockatiel.. WE just bought our second turkey I love turkeys they are so smarm and ours are very friendly and tame . The little one peeps just jumped into pool and swam to me to jump on my belly while I was catching some rays ...LOL Bad habit thought that's how we lost our favorite silkie Lumpy... He was out at night and I found him in pool in am lifeless. : ( We pretty much feed them exactly what you said except we are going to buy chicken feed today. Our feed store says the grow n feed is good as its full if vitamins I did give them meal worms this morning with some other leafy veggies .. What nice temperament they have .. OK Ill go grab those pics .. They dont seem to have gone to my e,mail yet .. Ill haver them up later today . Its so nice here in Pheonix ,AZ today Were going to take out motorcycles out for a spin. and then visit some people we know since Scott my fiance wants to raise Quail ( he's always wanted to ) and see their set up and talk to them about that .. Thank you very much for the reply.. I have lots of pictures to post as our flock is part of our family too !

Sincerely ,

Trixy

I think they are bantams we found 1 eggs right after I posted . My better half sent them to me since I dropped my cell in washing machine Thursday morning my new one should arrive tomorrow. I have another bantam Sam he's still juvenile and has bonded with a wild Grackle I saved as a hatching .. rather funny how close they are . They are all out on patio out of acges enjoying this beautiful day and Lucky the grackie has no desire to leave home . We have a VERY mixed flock with 2 turkeys one African goose 2 peking ducks , 6 s=chickens , a African grey parrot and cockatiel.. WE just bought our second turkey I love turkeys they are so smarm and ours are very friendly and tame . The little one peeps just jumped into pool and swam to me to jump on my belly while I was catching some rays ...LOL Bad habit thought that's how we lost our favorite silkie Lumpy... He was out at night and I found him in pool in am lifeless. : ( We pretty much feed them exactly what you said except we are going to buy chicken feed today. Our feed store says the grow n feed is good as its full if vitamins I did give them meal worms this morning with some other leafy veggies .. What nice temperament they have .. OK Ill go grab those pics .. They dont seem to have gone to my e,mail yet .. Ill haver them up later today . Its so nice here in Pheonix ,AZ today Were going to take out motorcycles out for a spin. and then visit some people we know since Scott my fiance wants to raise Quail ( he's always wanted to ) and see their set up and talk to them about that .. Thank you very much for the reply.. I have lots of pictures to post as our flock is part of our family too !

Sincerely ,

Trixy

Okay, I can see the photos now. Except for the buff one (which appears to be a pure-bred Buff Cochin bantam), the birds appear to be Silkie/Cochin bantam mixes. For sure there is one rooster, and I think the others are hens. Probably at least 6-7 months of age.

THANKS .. i HAVE OTHER YOUNG BANTAM i THINK CAN YOU TELL IF HE IS A ROOSTER OR HEN ? HES THE ONE HERE WITH OUR BABY TURKEY GRACKLE AND COCKATIEL WE HAVE A REALLY LARGE MIXED FLOCK THESE DAYS IN AND OUTSIDE BIRDS.. iLL POST PICS TO PROFILE NOW : ) WHICH ONE IF BUFF ? THE WHITE ONE ? i CAN GET BETTER PICS WHEN i GET MY NEW PHONE TOMORROW : ) LAST PIC IS OUR BABY TURKEY , SAM OUR BANTAM IN QUESTION AND Cockatiel AND THE OTHER IS THE WILD BIRD iVE RAISED THATS IS BFF WITH SAM THE BANTAM ..LOL THEY HAVE SHARED CAGE SINCE BABIES AND SOME OF OTHER ORIGINAL FLOCK..LOL WERE UP TO 14 NOW

Back
Top Bottom