1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We think it's a mink...now what!?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by silkielover88, Jan 25, 2015.

1. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    We had a visual on the mink! BF hit it with a shovel, but it still made it out the door. At least we defiantly know what we're after now

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    knowing is half the battle\

good luck

You may have more than one type of predator because you're missing birds and I've never seen a mink carry off an adult chicken. They did however, grab and carry off all the chicks in the middle of the day.
    Even if you have another predator carrying off a carcass, the mink is the most bloodthirsty killer so that would be a good problem to solve first.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    My thought exactly! I have the live trap set with a dead chicken and still nothing has been caight. We're setting up a bunch to catch mink today. We did see where it went after it ran out the door. It's got a nice little hole in the barn bords where it's been going in and out of the lower part of the barn, which is a totally separate area, but still, good place to set a trap

4. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Mink do not go after dead animals in traps, their killing instinct is based on the prey's movement and panic. At least that's what I know.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Agreed, I've never caught one with dead bait, even canned mackerel held no interest for them.

6. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    We have a plan...we're gonna use my rooster as bait. Put him in a wire cage with the box set in front of it and cover it all up except for the entrence and see how that goes

7. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    Sounds good

8. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Mink has been caught! Took the dead chicken in the box trap!!! Never been so surprised and happy!

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

**** DOING THE HAPPY DANCE ****

10. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    Good for you, and your chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by