We think it's a mink...now what!?

A mink or weasel are so light, they aren't likely to leave tracks. They're also too light to trip a #1 leg trap, possibly a #0 if you can find one.
That's why the conibears are better.
They can climb and anything but 1/2" or smaller hardware cloth or expanded metal will keep them out. Predators scoff at chicken wire and netting.

Also, rest assured, you have more than 1. I killed one and the next night I caught another killing chickens in another building.

Just before I lost the 5 flocks of chickens last summer. (one each night) I had 2 broody hens free ranging with their chicks. In 2 days the mink killed all the chicks in the middle of the day.

The difference between a #1 and #0 is just jaw spread and most trap companies use the same spring on both trap and thats what makes the difference they will trip either trap, I trap also

My thought exactly! I have the live trap set with a dead chicken and still nothing has been caight. We're setting up a bunch to catch mink today. We did see where it went after it ran out the door. It's got a nice little hole in the barn bords where it's been going in and out of the lower part of the barn, which is a totally separate area, but still, good place to set a trap

Mink do not go after dead animals in traps, their killing instinct is based on the prey's movement and panic. At least that's what I know.

True to an extent, If there is live birds you will not catch them with bait period. You must blind set them, footholds and conibears work 10x better, not saying a live trap won't work though, find his way(s) into the coop set them with 110's or 120s should I repeat should not will, be dead next time he returns which can be up to 3 weeks

Caught this on a IP camera I set up after losing 6 hens, think it"s a weasel
took 3 days to catch it in a live trap I framed into the coop door, I think I'll put the trap back up to see if he has any friends.
Didn't use any bait but the rest of the hens were in the coop

Back
Top Bottom