We think it's a mink...now what!?

Where do you live?
It looks to big to be most species of weasels and the tail is too thick. The relationship of the tail to the body is similar to a mink but it is much larger than a mink.

I'm reminded more of a fisher or marten. Knowing where you live would narrow it down.

Four of mine were never found , so I'm thinking a fox but was wondering if mink/weasels carried off the birds or left them there. Cause the next day something crawled in a stall and drug out a guinea. Seemed too narrow for a fox but who knows.

Last edited:
I'm in Ashtabula county in NE Ohio
You're in the historic range of the fisher and marten. Fishers are now making a comeback in Ohio and martens are likely to as well.

Four of mine were never found , so I'm thinking a fox but was wondering if mink/weasels carried off the birds or left them there. Cause the next day something crawled in a stall and drug out a guinea. Seemed too narrow for a fox but who knows.
Sounds like a raccoon to me.

Mink and weasels usually just kill without eating much meat and don't carry them off.

My birds were free ranging so whatever it was had to be very fast. Mink, fox, dog or coyote are my choices. Cause whatever it was, jumped back and forth over a 7ft cattle panel/fence killing the birds that were smart enough to escape.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Raccoons can climb virtually anything. Not many dogs nor coyotes can jump a 7' fence. Fox can though. A mink wouldn't have to jump since it can squeeze through a 1" opening.

Back
Top Bottom