We think it's a roo...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alcina_dreamer, May 12, 2010.

1. alcina_dreamer

alcina_dreamer In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    georgia
    stripes is about 12wks old and we need to know if he is a he because we have bigger roo we were going to put in the pen with the ladies.[​IMG]

2. esthermgr

esthermgr Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    That looks like a pullet to me. No roo saddle feathers and no rooish "collar" feathers either.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Ehhhhh, I think roo. He's too light to be a pullet, and his comb/wattles are too red for 12 weeks. There's still time for the saddle feathers/hackle feathers to become more obvious.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Yep... HE is a HE... [​IMG]

Females barring is white on a black feather and males are black barring on a white feather...unless the roo is not homozygous (2 copies of the barring gene) and is heterozygous meaning that he only has one copy of the barring gene then he would be colored like a female with white on black.

*ETA* look closely at his tail feathers....the longest feathers....see how they are curving out and over the shorter tail feathers below them. Rooster [​IMG]

Looks like he is going to be a handsome boy when he grows up. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    He's pretty white to be a hen. Not 100%, but I'd vote roo if I had to vote.

6. alcina_dreamer

alcina_dreamer In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    georgia
    thanks guys.
    I guess stripes is looking for a new home then [​IMG]...because I dont have the heart to eat him when he gets bigger.

7. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Definitely a boy, just look at his strong build! He has thick legs, wide feet, a large comb, and feathers that curve (like pinkchick said).

I don't blame you for rehoming him, I would eel awful eating one of my own chickens. Best wishes in finding him a new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by