We were attacked... :(

FEWJATIV

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
So I come outside this morning to feed & water my girls & find out we were attacked. 1 of my girls was lying dead in her fenced in area & my other girl was completely missing. I am assuming it was a big strong raccoon. The area around my door was dug up & the chickenwire I buried around my run was pulled back. I even found a footprint which makes me think it was a raccoon. Now my next thing to do will be to predator proof the run once again & completely finish the coop. Then I will be in search of new chicks. Sad day but I will be back with more chicks hopefully soon...

I ran chicken wire around the while outside structure about 18" high & it fell roughly 18" on the ground which I had buried to prevent predators from digging under. The only area not really protected was the door for obvious reasons. But i had still buried the chicken wire.... this morning where the raccon dug up the dirt it found the chicken wire that was buried & pulled it back to get better access to keep digging... smart lil mofo.

I ran chicken wire around the while outside structure about 18" high & it fell roughly 18" on the ground which I had buried to prevent predators from digging under. The only area not really protected was the door for obvious reasons. But i had still buried the chicken wire.... this morning where the raccon dug up the dirt it found the chicken wire that was buried & pulled it back to get better access to keep digging... smart lil mofo.
Geez. I've placed a couple feet of hardware cloth on the ground surrounding the run. I'm hoping it's harder to pull back than the softer chicken wire. I might do some extra securing, now.

Back
Top Bottom