We were attacked... :(

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FEWJATIV, Jul 1, 2016.

1. FEWJATIV

FEWJATIV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    So I come outside this morning to feed & water my girls & find out we were attacked. 1 of my girls was lying dead in her fenced in area & my other girl was completely missing. I am assuming it was a big strong raccoon. The area around my door was dug up & the chickenwire I buried around my run was pulled back. I even found a footprint which makes me think it was a raccoon. Now my next thing to do will be to predator proof the run once again & completely finish the coop. Then I will be in search of new chicks. Sad day but I will be back with more chicks hopefully soon...

2. FEWJATIV

Apr 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. FEWJATIV

Apr 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. NickChillPhoto

NickChillPhoto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Decorah, IA
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear about this tragedy. It's very sad. What do you mean by the chicken wire being pulled back? I always want to know how predators get in, so I can anticipate and prevent.

1 person likes this.
  5. FEWJATIV

Apr 27, 2016
    I ran chicken wire around the while outside structure about 18" high & it fell roughly 18" on the ground which I had buried to prevent predators from digging under. The only area not really protected was the door for obvious reasons. But i had still buried the chicken wire.... this morning where the raccon dug up the dirt it found the chicken wire that was buried & pulled it back to get better access to keep digging... smart lil mofo.

6. NickChillPhoto

NickChillPhoto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Decorah, IA
    My Coop
    Geez. I've placed a couple feet of hardware cloth on the ground surrounding the run. I'm hoping it's harder to pull back than the softer chicken wire. I might do some extra securing, now.

1 person likes this.
  7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  8. FEWJATIV

Apr 27, 2016
    I'm just gonna have to figure something out.... it really sucks tho

9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    A good gun might be a good idea. Do some hunting tonight?

1 person likes this.
  10. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    do you have a friend with a large live trap? I'd put it inside the pen so that something coming through the hole would go in it and set the bait where the dead chicken was

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by