Weak and can't stand up--what could be wrong?

good hententions

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
My 24wk BLRW was fine when she went into the coop for the night but was unable to walk the next morning. I have isolated her but shows no improvement. Her crop is not swollen. As far as I can tell she is not egg bound-hasn't started laying yet. Still has an appetite. Any ideas?

Thanks!

maybe there is a thorn in her foot. if not try to check for brocken bones. strech her leg out a little to see is her foot curls up a little. If not, take her to someone with vet experience.
D.gif

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

) What type of bird , age and weight.
BLRW about 24 wks don't know weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Can't stand. Keeps head down except for short periods when she eats. Is keeping one leg outstretched but its one leg and then the other. Breathing with her beak open sometimes.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Started Sun morning.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other birds effected.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I see not sign of any of this.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She was fine the night before but when I went to let the birds out of the coop in the morning she couldn't walk. She managed to get into the run but couldn't stand.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Prior to being sick, she had been eating Purina Flock Raiser pellets and water. Since sick I withheld food and water for one day but now have her back on regular diet but have offered plain yogurt also. She is still eating but doesn't seem to be drinking much.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop normal until today and now seems to have a lot of liquid but it may be that I am noticing it more since I have paper in her box.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have started giving her electrolytes upon the advice of the coop. I also offered yogurt as per a suggestion on a BYC thread I found on similar symptoms.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
The coop told me that the area vets would laugh if I brought in a chicken.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No pics. No obvious wound.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
We use straw in the nest boxes. She has an enclosed coop and run. She is locked up for safety each night and let out each morning.

Thanks for any help!

What is the color of her diarrhea? I wouldn't listen to your co-op about taking a chicken to the vet. I'm pretty sure that your vet will absolutely not laugh at you.

Have you checked for mites/parasites? Has she ever been wormed?

Are there any fungus/molds or algae that she could have consumed in the yard? Have there been any other animals/birds in your yard that are not usually there? (Think migratory animals)

Did your hen make any attempts to walk and if she succeeded did it appear as if she was walking like a drunkard?

Have you starting using any new feeders or water containers?

I apologize for all of the questions, but the more information the better. I still feel like I'm being a PITA when asking more questions
tongue.png

Color seems normal but there is more liquid.

I haven't seen any mites or parasites but I'm really new to this and i'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

Have not seen molds or fungus and I don't think any other animals have been near the run or coop

She really didn't try to walk and now it seems that she is having trouble with only one leg. She is keeping it outstretched in front of her.

No new feeders or waterers and I keep them cleaned out and fresh.

She still has an appetite today and doesn't seem to be hurting or mind me picking her up. She seems to have a little more energy but still isn't standing.

Thanks for your opinion!

Last edited:
We are having the same problem out of our flock. Lost a 2 year old hen with no other symptoms other than would not roost or stand. now have another hen experiencing the same symptoms. It started with not standing, the next day she was still alive but her legs were not under her, but out to the side. the next day she was dead. now another hen doing the same. Please let me know if you find an answer.

Still don't have an answer but this started on Sun. and she is still alive. She is doing a little better since we started giving her electrolytes. I don't know if they are helping or it is coincidence. Hope you find and anser soon and please share if you do!

From what I've read, I don't think its Mareks. However, I'm very new to keeping chickens and I don't know that I would recognize the disease. She is holding her head up a little more today and still eating. Seems to have more control over her wings but still has one leg sticking out in front of her.

Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom