Weak baby chick making clicking sounds

I ordered them from Meyer hatchery. I’ve lost two before her. It took 3 days to get here and they were all weak when I got them. One died the next morning and the other the day after. They were just too weak. This one seemed fine, she’s tiny, but was up walking around before and eating and normal. But I noticed she stopped going out and only sleeps in one spot. That’s when I started dropper feeding her. She actually drinks water and a little food when I pull her out, but that’s the only time she’ll eat or drink or move at all.
Mushy Chick Disease is from poor sanitation during incubation or the first few hours after hatch...the 3 day shipping is also concerning and could have done something to them or just weakened them from not having consistent heat for so long. I'm not an expert on diseases, or hatcheries. I've only gotten chicks from Swap Meets, Feed Mills, and my own flock's eggs. I'm not very familiar with the sanitation of a hatchery, and supposedly Meyer Hatchery is popular so I don't think they would have poor hatchery practices--or nothing extreme, at least. At this point I'm stumped and would honestly just go with "the travel was too much" and you need to give them as much recovery time and attention if they are to pull through.

Sadly, This morning I found she had died during the night. I had a feeling, she wouldn’t eat much at all yesterday. Poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom