Sick hen not improving

Thanks so much!

I’ve moved her inside with me and after much protest she finally took a nap and is now going to town on her food.

I’ve been checking her crop every morning but tomorrow I’ll try to do it early enough that she hasn’t had time to eat yet.

I assume I should stop the antibiotic since it doesn’t seem to be having any impact?

Attachments

• IMG_5284.jpeg
    IMG_5284.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 19
Stop the antibiotic. Sometimes it can create more problems, especially in the crop.

Follow the steps. Report here over the next few days, and we'll try to get a handle on this.

Today’s update:
Early AM. Crop was empty but was slightly expanded/filled with air perhaps. It went flat as soon as I put a little pressure on it to feel if empty or not. No liquid or squishiness.

She’s been kept in a cage with only sugar water and feed w/ a little chick grit mixed in. Still eating and drinking normally. Actually seems to be hunting out the tiny bits of grit!

Here’s the first poop I’ve seen today. Still something undigested in it, but no grass today.

Attachments

• IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5309.jpeg
    IMG_5309.jpeg
    799.3 KB · Views: 12
Chickens usually crave grit when they have an impaction in the digestive tract. Give her free access to the grit instead of mixing it into her food. A gentle, easy, quick flush might be a good idea right now. Instead of plain sugar water, mix one teaspoon molasses into one-fourth cup warm water and give it to her as her only water source until she drinks it all. This will help move stuff through the intestines.

Chickens usually crave grit when they have an impaction in the digestive tract. Give her free access to the grit instead of mixing it into her food. A gentle, easy, quick flush might be a good idea right now. Instead of plain sugar water, mix one teaspoon molasses into one-fourth cup warm water and give it to her as her only water source until she drinks it all. This will help move stuff through the intestines.
I’ll pick up some molasses in the morning and switch her to that water tomorrow!

Sunday update:
Still eating and drinking normally and laying down/sleeping in between. I wasn’t able to get molasses today but will tomorrow. Today’s poop seems to have some cecal mixed in…perhaps a good sign of slight improvement?

Sunday update:
Still eating and drinking normally and laying down/sleeping in between. I wasn’t able to get molasses today but will tomorrow. Today’s poop seems to have some cecal mixed in…perhaps a good sign of slight improvement?
Forgot to include the pics

Attachments

• IMG_5316.jpeg
    IMG_5316.jpeg
    963.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5317.jpeg
    IMG_5317.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Sad update. My Wynonna is still alive but while unsupervised in the outdoor run with the flock for 30 minutes yesterday, someone or something nearly ripped her comb off completely. She was lifeless when I found her but quickly perked up and was eating well at bedtime. I cleaned the wound and slathered it in neosporin. She made it through the night and is still eating a bit this morning, but is clearly uncomfortable. This poor gal just can’t catch a break.

Attachments

• 1DB6360B-D88D-4F35-BBEC-76021ABD52F6.jpeg
    1DB6360B-D88D-4F35-BBEC-76021ABD52F6.jpeg
    887.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom