Weak Baby Duckling

Kmk5

Hatching
Jun 19, 2016
We've raised our two ducks from two weeks old , but never from hatching. they now have laid eggs and only 3 ended up being good, They all made a tiny crack two days ago and then last night one came out with little help. Another one had a tiny hole cracked open for itself so we help a little but some blood came, so we stopped for several hours then went back with more help very late last night and let him rest until morning. This morning, since we could now see his full beak and foot, and he was chirping we decided he might be stuck and to help him the rest of the way. Some blood came and little yolk sac was still connected so we wrapped with a damp paper towel and let him rest. He ended up getting up out of the paper towel and walking around a bit, no more egg sac is there. He seems weak and can barely lift his head up, also keeps falling on his back. Aren't sure if this is just because he hatched about 7 hours ago and is weak from the journey, or if there is something wrong. Please let us know what you think, and if we can do anything better next time (maybe just let him get out of egg himself, did we do the right thing????)
Thank you

Hope your duckling is okay today!! I think maybe you should have waited, but I wasn't there to know bad it was, but he made it thru the hatch process with your help. Next time you have to help something hatch (only if it needs to be done, it's always better to let Mother Nature do her thing), just remember that they need all the fluid in the membrain (what causes the blood), so wait till its dry before trying to remove it. Hope I could help

Back
Top Bottom