Weak, can’t stand 10 week old crested legbar mix pullet

Mere_poule

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
Hi all!

I have a 10 week old crested legbar mix pullet. She has been outside since she was 6 weeks old and was doing great.

Since yesterday, she is very weak, can’t stand, or when she does, she falls over. So she has been mostly just sitting. She will still eat and drink if I bring her food and water. Her poops are normal, but she has less today.

It has gotten cold recently (10-15C) and was raining these last few days. She did have shelter but I’m sure she got wet. We brought her into the main coop/run yesterday and have her separated from the older girls. I’ve given her Nutri Drench in her water, some scrambled eggs. She is sheltered and dry, has a warming blanket under her on the lowest setting.

What could have caused this? Was it the cold or rain? What else should I do? 😞

Thank you in advance.

Can she use her legs at all? Will she grip your finger with her toes?
What's her diet?
Does she seem lethargic at all?
Do you mind getting a picture of her?
Are any other of your chickens acting off?

Can she use her legs at all? Will she grip your finger with her toes?
What's her diet?
Does she seem lethargic at all?
Do you mind getting a picture of her?
Are any other of your chickens acting off?
She can use her legs a little bit. She can sort of stand but is very wobbly and quickly falls over. I went to get some pictures of her and she tried to stand and walk but then fell near her food. She was able to get back up (very wobbly) and go into her shelter where she sat and closed her eyes. She doesn’t seem lethargic but she is sitting all the time. She eats the Purina chick crumble.

No other chickens are off. The others are 3.5 years old, and I have another crested legbar mix chick that is maybe 4 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_9161.jpeg
    IMG_9161.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9163.jpeg
    IMG_9163.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9167.jpeg
    IMG_9167.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9168.jpeg
    IMG_9168.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 6
I'm thinking she could have a deficiency or something.
I would get some some B Complex and Vitamin E 400IU, and give her 1/3 of a tablet of B Complex and one Vitamin E once a day for a couple weeks or so and see how she's doing then.
Keep giving her the eggs, it'll help her absorb more of the Vitamin E.

I'm thinking she could have a deficiency or something.
I would get some some B Complex and Vitamin E 400IU, and give her 1/3 of a tablet of B Complex and one Vitamin E once a day for a couple weeks or so and see how she's doing then.
Keep giving her the eggs, it'll help her absorb more of the Vitamin E.
Thank you very much. Will try this!

Sounds good! Let me know how she does.
Hi Tookie!

Hope you’re well! How long is it supposed to take before we see an improvement, if it’s a vitamin deficiency?

It’s been 1 week of giving her Vit B complex 1/2 tab and Vit E 400 IU and she has not shown any improvement. I would say she is slightly worse. She lays down most of the day, with her head down as well. One leg is less mobile than the other but they’re both barely moving. They’re stretched behind her now instead of under her. She will eat and drink if I give her food and water. I give her the crushed vitamins in a syringe mixed with some water and give it to her a few drops at a time. She still poops.

If it’s not a vitamin deficiency, I’m wondering if it could be Mareks? 😭

Hi Tookie!

Hope you’re well! How long is it supposed to take before we see an improvement, if it’s a vitamin deficiency?

It’s been 1 week of giving her Vit B complex 1/2 tab and Vit E 400 IU and she has not shown any improvement. I would say she is slightly worse. She lays down most of the day, with her head down as well. One leg is less mobile than the other but they’re both barely moving. They’re stretched behind her now instead of under her. She will eat and drink if I give her food and water. I give her the crushed vitamins in a syringe mixed with some water and give it to her a few drops at a time. She still poops.

A bird can go from fine to not fine over night with vitamin deficiency, but it takes weeks to get them back to fine.

A bird can go from fine to not fine over night with vitamin deficiency, but it takes weeks to get them back to fine.
Weeks!! Ok so I should not give up! I’ve been giving her the vitamins for a week, plus Nutri Drench, plus scrambled eggs, as well as her chick crumble. Hopefully will see an improvement soon. 🤞 Thank you @nuthatched!

Hi Tookie!

Poor girl!
I would just keep up the vitamins and hopefully she improves.
Not sure why she would be getting worse though.
I don't think Marek's is of any concern, as her legs would be completely paralyzed and she wouldn't be able to use them at all.
To make it easier on you, you don't have to crush the vitamins, you can just pop the whole thing in her mouth and she'll swallow. Its easier, and you know she's getting everything from it.
Its good she's still eating. If you want you could give her some meat or fish, it would be good for her.

Back
Top Bottom