Weak chick please help.

stephanier756

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
Arkansas
Long story short, I now have a single chick that I had to help hatch 2 days ago. The chick is very weak, and sleeps most of the time. I have not left water in with it as I am afraid it will stumble around and drown in it, so I have been giving it water with a syringe. At first it acted like it was choking, but has improved. This morning it was pecking at the thermometer in its box so I mashed up some boiled egg yolk and put some in its beak, it pecked some from my finger but then immediately went back to sleep. My question is, how often should I try to feed the chick. I have left some starter crumble in the box, but it won't eat it.
I have been worried sick about this little chick, it's almost like having a newborn. Up every two hours checking on it

Welcome To BYC

Getting her hydrated is most important. See if she will drink on her own, try dropping water beside her beak letting her take it in. A slow process, but dehydration could be the cause of her lethargy. If you have some poultry vitamins add those to her water as well.

Once you are satisfied she has had plenty of fluids, then offer wet chick starter-you may need to offer it on your finger to see if she will take it. Hard boiled egg is fine as well if that is all that she will eat, but try the wet chick starter too.

Keep us posted.

I have used the "spoon method"...I'm too worried I would "drown" a chick trying to use and eye dropper.
Hold a spoon of water right up to its beak.
Nutri drench or something similar can be a life saver in situations like this.

Not to be too harsh, but helping a chick hatch is generally not a good idea. they actually need that little struggle to gain strength. Ok, that being said, chicks do not need to eat for the first three days after hatching, that is because right before they hatch they absorb the last of the yolk sac and that has enough energy to sustain them for a full three days. If your little one doesn't show interest in food or water on the third day you can try offering some high sugar fruit. Watermellon is excellent because they like it a lot. relax, your chick will likely eat or drink when it is ready to do so. hatching is strenuous work and that is why nature has provided the nutritional backup they need during the recovery phase...If you can't get melon, try a soft canned fruit that doesn't have added refined sugar. avoid the yogurt, it iw wonderful for animals that naturally nurse but chicks aren't equipped to digest milk fats.

Welcome To BYC

Getting her hydrated is most important. See if she will drink on her own, try dropping water beside her beak letting her take it in. A slow process, but dehydration could be the cause of her lethargy. If you have some poultry vitamins add those to her water as well.

Once you are satisfied she has had plenty of fluids, then offer wet chick starter-you may need to offer it on your finger to see if she will take it. Hard boiled egg is fine as well if that is all that she will eat, but try the wet chick starter too.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the help, I have been using a syringe and just putting a drop next to the beak, wasn't sure how much to offer, it is drinking that.
Problem #2
It's not using its left leg much and is having problems staying upright. It's curling the toes on that foot under. When I found the egg it had been smashed pretty bad so I hope it's leg is not damaged

Not to be too harsh, but helping a chick hatch is generally not a good idea. they actually need that little struggle to gain strength. Ok, that being said, chicks do not need to eat for the first three days after hatching, that is because right before they hatch they absorb the last of the yolk sac and that has enough energy to sustain them for a full three days. If your little one doesn't show interest in food or water on the third day you can try offering some high sugar fruit. Watermellon is excellent because they like it a lot. relax, your chick will likely eat or drink when it is ready to do so. hatching is strenuous work and that is why nature has provided the nutritional backup they need during the recovery phase...If you can't get melon, try a soft canned fruit that doesn't have added refined sugar. avoid the yogurt, it iw wonderful for animals that naturally nurse but chicks aren't equipped to digest milk fats.

@stephanier756 I'm sorry, I lost connection:rolleyes:

I was going to add, find a poultry vitamin that has Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) or you can crush a human B-Complex Vitamin (no iron) and add it to your feed.

Curled toes may need to be taped as well, here is a good link that shows how to do that - look at post #3 http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1139759/curled-up-chick-toes

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom