Weak chick please help.

I didn't want to help the chick hatch, but when the egg got smashed by the hen, the membrane was drying out so I just wrapped it in a warm wet paper towel and kept it moist overnight. I guess I didn't technically help it hatch because I let it do all the work. I just checked on it every two hours and kept it moist and warm under a heat lamp.
As far as feeding it I was just hoping to give it some energy.
I helped with some water and gave a little hard boiled egg yolk, and about an hour later I put in some chick starter and pecked it with my finger and the chick pecked some too! Much more energetic. Just hope it's little leg is ok.
Thank you so much for the advice as I am very new to all this.
I love my chickens and just want to help this little one.

@stephanier756 I'm sorry, I lost connection:rolleyes:

I was going to add, find a poultry vitamin that has Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) or you can crush a human B-Complex Vitamin (no iron) and add it to your feed.

Curled toes may need to be taped as well, here is a good link that shows how to do that - look at post #3 http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1139759/curled-up-chick-toes

Keep us posted.
Thanks so much for all your help,I changed the pine mulch for a different flooring and the chick is getting around much better. Still favoring the left leg but not curling the toes as much.

Update on my little chick.....
It's growing steadier on its feet but was very lonely and peeped all the time. Drinking on its own and eating a bit of chick starter.
We went and picked up 6 more chicks for it today and it's still peeping
Love my chicks and hope this little one makes it.

Back
Top Bottom