Weak chick

JLM34436

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2021
Long story short I rescued this buff chick from the feed store today. The black one is a healthy normal chick I got for a companion to the buff.
So the buff was still wet, taken within an hour or two of hatching into an outdoor brooder with no heat source (granted, its 91° in Florida but..) Its tiny. I actually thought it was dead. So did the feed store owner. Then it moved and she said oh it probably is going to die, I went ahead and put it in there to see of it would make it. Wtf?!. At that time it was maybe 6 hours old, on a wire floor. Omg
So I got it home, dried it up, got them settled in. I'm not sure if its got splay legs and wry neck. Or it's just so young it can't use its legs properly yet. As of this writing its maybe 12 hours old. This is a fiesty little thing. It wants to live! It looks better since I got it home, but it needs some extra tlc for sure. Advice please?

Do you have pictures? Is he/she pecking at food? At 12 hrs old, the little bean might just need some time to strengthen up, so I wouldn’t be super worried if he/she is still wobbly. Does he/she look up at you and make happy cheeps? I’ve always considered that a good sign. But pictures would help and as it’s still very young, just keep him/her warm (I think around 95 degree Fahrenheit is the going temp for that age, but Google it just in case). Good luck!!

I attached pics but it says something about the extension not being allowed so I don't know what that means?
This morning she is still wobbling can't hold her head up. I have to dip her beak for water. But it seems like she hasn't absorbed the yolk sac so I don't know if I should let her eat. She is pecking like she wants food but she just flops over when she leans back to swallow.

I attached pics but it says something about the extension not being allowed so I don't know what that means?
This morning she is still wobbling can't hold her head up. I have to dip her beak for water. But it seems like she hasn't absorbed the yolk sac so I don't know if I should let her eat. She is pecking like she wants food but she just flops over when she leans back to swallow.
Hmmmm ... I haven’t hatched my own Littles in a while (I get the day-old chicks at the local feed store), but they are a little wobbly at first. It’s good that she’s pecking at stuff and drinking. Maybe someone else will chime in who is much more knowledgeable. For now, I’d just keep her warm and make sure food and water is available if she wants it. Hoping she starts finding her bearings soon!

Update: gave her a bath, blow dried/ sundried her (her feathers were pasted to her body) and now she's definitely steadier on her feet, able.to stand much better, looking for food and water. I don't want to jinx it, but I think she's going to make it. She already has tons of attitude and is bullying her one week old friend lol

Hmmmm ... I haven’t hatched my own Littles in a while (I get the day-old chicks at the local feed store), but they are a little wobbly at first. It’s good that she’s pecking at stuff and drinking. Maybe someone else will chime in who is much more knowledgeable. For now, I’d just keep her warm and make sure food and water is available if she wants it. Hoping she starts finding her bearings soon!
She's doing a lot better now. Running around and eating like a pig. No splay leg. But she peeps all day long. She seems to have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. If she can't see me or my niece, she's screaming! Raises heck when I try to hold her. Squirms and fights to get down. And I realized today, she never lays down like the other chicks. She's always passing out on her feet. Then she falls over and wakes up peeping. Its weird idk what to do for her

She's doing a lot better now. Running around and eating like a pig. No splay leg. But she peeps all day long. She seems to have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. If she can't see me or my niece, she's screaming! Raises heck when I try to hold her. Squirms and fights to get down. And I realized today, she never lays down like the other chicks. She's always passing out on her feet. Then she falls over and wakes up peeping. Its weird idk what to do for her
Awwww!!! What a sweetie! I have babies I raise that can be picky about being picked up - they want to sit in my hand and cuddle but throw a fit when I go to pick them up - DRAMA QUEENS!!! Sounds like yours is just a little character and clearly sees you and your niece as mama chicken even if she doesn’t like getting picked up. Glad she’s doing better :love .

Back
Top Bottom