Weak duckling, Help?

LilQuacker04

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
I may have just joined but I trust ya'll to help at least a little.

I and my family ordered some baby Pekin ducklings for our coop. we ordered 10 in total and sadly one had passed during shipment. One I'm quite worried about might be the runt. She/he keeps their head close to their body, is always cold and shaking, and doesn't really eat. Only drinks and that is just a few drops, all they want to do is sleep somewhere warm. I brought them inside and put them in a towel to warm them up and gave them lukewarm sugar water, along with a make-shift heating pad. They don't seem able to dry themselves since they are a bit wet from the water container in their cage. I took them out cause I was scared to leave them in there and let them get trampled. They don't really poop, all it is is just a little splash of liquid and I'm worried, I don't want to lose this one since my younger sister took a liking to them, she already lost her own silkie last year and I don't want her upset again. Please help!

How old are they?
Try getting it to drink some more electrolytes. You can use pedialyte, save a chick (available at TSC), sugar water (just add sugar or molasses to it as you've been doing), or even Gatorade.
What are you feeding them?
Can you try to get it to eat some ties or scrambled eggs (finely diced).

What do you use for a waterer? If they are getting wet and cold that could make them lethargic.

@Isaac 0 what do recommend they do?

Thank you for replying! I was worried I was on my own here😞
I know they're less than a week old, maybe a day or two at least. We've been feeding them natures best organic duck crumble and just some water with a bit of hydro-hen in it.

we currently are out of eggs at my house rn, my mom is grocery shopping soon, but I've been watering down the crumble into a mush and getting them to at least nibble at it. though they don't seem to appreciate it.

Should I try giving them water and molasses instead? My mom has alphagal so we don't have normal sugar here, so I'm worried about that. Or would gatorade work better?

the waterer we're using right now is a simple one at best it looks like this:
1624118581224.png

We got them shipped from hoover's hatchery if that helps at all. Thank you >︿<

is Gatorade frost okay? that's the best we have at my house-
they do have a heat lamp but it with our current ducklings' atm and I'm still worried they may get trampled.
as for the feed, it does say it contains a niacin supplement, but from the post by Isaac, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have enough. I don't believe we have any nutritional yeast on hand so I'll keep giving the little one some Gatorade and try to persuade it to eat a little

Update on the little one:
Not much better, I put them underneath the heat lamp for a bit to help warm them up and when I went back in there to check up on them they looked as if they were spitting up! they had a bit of liquid strung from their beak to their breast and they were shaking their head a lot. also, the little film that ducks use to wet/cover their eye(not the eyelid) is half-covering their eye along with the eyes watering. Are they truly sick? I'm extremely worried!

I'm sorry I didn't do any of this sooner, I was keeping tabs on the little one.
Sadly they already passed, early this morning. It hurt a bit, but I'll be keeping tabs on the rest of the ducklings to make sure they don't have the same fate. The little one(who we had nicknamed Daisy) came to us sick, and my mom did say they may not make it. It just hurts more than I would have liked.
I'll can try and get pictures if you all still want-

Back
Top Bottom