Weak duckling - Please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by briannamcc, Jan 14, 2016.

1. briannamcc

briannamcc Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2016
    Hi all, Hoping for some help. I have 2 Indian Runner Ducklings, almost 2 weeks old. They have been very healthy / happy, and are both happily eating suitable starter feed, and have been great.

Today and this evening one duckling has looked weak, scared, and staring alot blankly/ sleeping. Duckling is Still eating (slightly less though) and droppings look normal, but I am worried, Are there any other signs something is not ok and any tips? Please.

Thanks,
    Bri

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Look for nasal discharge, watery eyes. Supply a little more heat. Look for drafts. Clean an sanitize everything, assuming these ducklings are in a pen and not with a mother.

1 person likes this.
  3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I'd try to give it some sav-a-chick in it's water. If you can't get that right away even some warm water with dissolved honey would be good.

Wish I could be more help.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Can you tell us the temperature of the brooder, what kind of food they get, assure us that they have water with food 24/7? Is there good ventilation without cold drafts? Who gets to handle them?

@briannamcc

I need to turn in soon, will check back in the morning if you are not able to respond soon.

There is a sticky about raising ducklings you can look through to get ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by