Weak duckling - Please help

briannamcc

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2016
Hi all, Hoping for some help. I have 2 Indian Runner Ducklings, almost 2 weeks old. They have been very healthy / happy, and are both happily eating suitable starter feed, and have been great.

Today and this evening one duckling has looked weak, scared, and staring alot blankly/ sleeping. Duckling is Still eating (slightly less though) and droppings look normal, but I am worried, Are there any other signs something is not ok and any tips? Please.

Thanks,
Bri

nchls school

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
Hi all, Hoping for some help. I have 2 Indian Runner Ducklings, almost 2 weeks old. They have been very healthy / happy, and are both happily eating suitable starter feed, and have been great.

Today and this evening one duckling has looked weak, scared, and staring alot blankly/ sleeping. Duckling is Still eating (slightly less though) and droppings look normal, but I am worried, Are there any other signs something is not ok and any tips? Please.

Thanks,
Bri
Look for nasal discharge, watery eyes. Supply a little more heat. Look for drafts. Clean an sanitize everything, assuming these ducklings are in a pen and not with a mother.

lomine

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 7, 2015
Peyton, CO
I'd try to give it some sav-a-chick in it's water. If you can't get that right away even some warm water with dissolved honey would be good.

Wish I could be more help.

Last edited:

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
11 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
Can you tell us the temperature of the brooder, what kind of food they get, assure us that they have water with food 24/7? Is there good ventilation without cold drafts? Who gets to handle them?

@briannamcc

I need to turn in soon, will check back in the morning if you are not able to respond soon.

There is a sticky about raising ducklings you can look through to get ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:

Top Bottom