Weak duckling - Please help

briannamcc

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2016
Hi all, Hoping for some help. I have 2 Indian Runner Ducklings, almost 2 weeks old. They have been very healthy / happy, and are both happily eating suitable starter feed, and have been great.

Today and this evening one duckling has looked weak, scared, and staring alot blankly/ sleeping. Duckling is Still eating (slightly less though) and droppings look normal, but I am worried, Are there any other signs something is not ok and any tips? Please.

Thanks,
Bri

Hi all, Hoping for some help. I have 2 Indian Runner Ducklings, almost 2 weeks old. They have been very healthy / happy, and are both happily eating suitable starter feed, and have been great.

Today and this evening one duckling has looked weak, scared, and staring alot blankly/ sleeping. Duckling is Still eating (slightly less though) and droppings look normal, but I am worried, Are there any other signs something is not ok and any tips? Please.

Thanks,
Bri
Look for nasal discharge, watery eyes. Supply a little more heat. Look for drafts. Clean an sanitize everything, assuming these ducklings are in a pen and not with a mother.

I'd try to give it some sav-a-chick in it's water. If you can't get that right away even some warm water with dissolved honey would be good.

Wish I could be more help.

Last edited:
Can you tell us the temperature of the brooder, what kind of food they get, assure us that they have water with food 24/7? Is there good ventilation without cold drafts? Who gets to handle them?

@briannamcc

I need to turn in soon, will check back in the morning if you are not able to respond soon.

There is a sticky about raising ducklings you can look through to get ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom