Weak Duckling umbilical normal?

justonemoreduck

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2022
Hello this lil quack was the last to hatch. He never dries. Found him lethargic and cold in brooder box. Warmed him up, blow dried. Noticed umbilical is bulging. Is it going to be okay. Should I put triple antibiotic on it?

Attachments

• PXL_20240409_193238762.jpg
    PXL_20240409_193238762.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 23
It should be ok since it just hatched, but check again in a few hours. Next time, try keeping it in the incubator until it is all dry. Make sure your brooder has a heat lamp or plate to keep it warm.
If you like, you could keep it on a little towel in the brooder so it could rest. Looks cute! :love

It should be ok since it just hatched, but check again in a few hours. Next time, try keeping it in the incubator until it is all dry. Make sure your brooder has a heat lamp or plate to keep it warm.
If you like, you could keep it on a little towel in the brooder so it could rest. Looks cute! :love
Thank you! This is our first hatch for '24. I'm rusty and shouldn't have moved him with the other three fluffy dry ones. I didn't want him to be alone. Do you think it needs electrolytes or anything special since it's a little weak? Probably exhausted.

Thank you! This is our first hatch for '24. I'm rusty and shouldn't have moved him with the other three fluffy dry ones. I didn't want him to be alone. Do you think it needs electrolytes or anything special since it's a little weak? Probably exhausted.
No problem! Sometimes, I can't resist putting the ducklings together as soon as possible, too. I would just let it sleep. Normally, it should be up and about the next day.

Back
Top Bottom