weak duckling

Arlys

Hatching
Apr 19, 2016
so sad, I rescued a weak duckling and put it under warm light and it perked up great
was feeding him cook rice, quinoa, chopped up greens, tomatoes, after two weeks he started getting weak again
he was full of energy before, is there something I can give him. He must be about 3 weeks old

Thank you, I went to the feed store and got some unmedicated chick starter. She also gave me electrolytes and probiotics in the water.
She said if I want to give him a boost to give him a little sugar water in a dropper. So we will see what happens. He is eating a small amount right now but goes back under his light. Doesn't seem like he's sick just weak

The duckling needs proper feed. Also I am not sure the tomatoes are a good idea. I know the plant leaves are toxic and I have heard mixed things about the fruit but it is probably not the best thing to feed a growing baby either way. Ducklings need the correct amount of protein and niacin in their diet and sadly this duckling sounds malnourished. I feed Purina Flock Raiser to ducks and ducklings. If you are not able to get a complete duck feed then you need to do a lot of research to make your own blend. Sugar water and electrolytes may help give a weak bird the energy to eat but it will not fill its nutritional needs.

Lone ducklings can also fail to thrive without a companion. Ducks are social birds that form strong family bonds so isolation is very stressful for a baby. They don't do very well in solitary confinement for very long, especially if it is not a domesticated duck breed.

I should have started on the Purina chick starter from the beginning. I got it yesterday but he didn't like it, all he wanted was the black
beans, rice and quinoa. He is a mallard and was left by his mom. I brought him home put him under a warm light. He was doing so well with lots of energy. He is 3 weeks now. He is now weak, and really not able to even walk. Day 2 of this .
I really think when he ate a bit of an avocado (which I did not know was toxic) made him ill. Or there was something wrong from the start.
I rescued a mallard egg and incubated it years ago and it was a totally different situation. Maybe because it became domesticated. When it was old enough I was able to take it back to the pond with the others and no problem. I was happy to see him fit right in and actually fly.
I just don't like watching this duckling slowly get worse.

The avacado was not a good choice to feed him but we live and learn so now you know. He might have done better on a more complete feed right away as he was learning to eat. You can try Nutri-Drench or some other high energy remedy but Karo syrup can also work in a pinch. If you can get his energy up and his appetite back he could pull through but birds do not have large fat stores, especially babies, so they can die of anorexia pretty quickly. Make sure you keep him hydrated too. I hope he pulls through this and tries eating again.

You probably know this now but here are the effects of eating avacado: "Birds develop lethargy, dyspnea, anorexia, subcutaneous edema of the neck and pectoral regions, and may die."

oh yes, when I found out about the avocado I felt so so bad. I think there is some kind of chemical in the avocado that is really toxic for birds.
Who would have thought since its such a great food for us to eat. Yes, my little weak duckling died today. I feel so bad but then I really do not know what was wrong with him when I rescued him. He was a bit dramatized when I found him but when I put him under the warm light he was fine. So don't really know. I still blame me though. Sticking to starter food if this ever happens again.

Back
Top Bottom