1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weak egg shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by montverdechick, Mar 11, 2011.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    One of my EE is laying eggs with very weak shells. They break easily with little pressure. All other chickens are laying normal eggs. They have access to oyster shell and my son's sandbox sand. What else can I do for her? Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she a new layer? If so, it's common for this to happen as their bodies adjust to the egg laying process. As long as you have oyster shell out, it should resolve itself.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Also, if you put a little dry cat food in there it will help. But like Happy Chooks said, as long as they have access to oyster shells that is good. Good Luck.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What is their diet? Treats? How many?

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    How does extra protein (dry cat food) help with thin shells? I understand that it takes a lot of protein to produce eggs, but I didn't think that the amount of protein had much to do with shell thickness.

6. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    She will be 4 years old in April. Eggs weren't always like this, only in the last year. We feed them layer pellets and they free range in the yard. No pesticides or fertilizers. They don't get many treats...occasional strawberry tops, other veggie/fruit scraps, weeds, etc. It's only her. The others, 3 the same age and the 6 month olds lay eggs with hard shells. Will try the cat food. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by