Weak egg shell

montverdechick

Songster
13 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Central Florida
One of my EE is laying eggs with very weak shells. They break easily with little pressure. All other chickens are laying normal eggs. They have access to oyster shell and my son's sandbox sand. What else can I do for her? Thanks!

Is she a new layer? If so, it's common for this to happen as their bodies adjust to the egg laying process. As long as you have oyster shell out, it should resolve itself.

Also, if you put a little dry cat food in there it will help. But like Happy Chooks said, as long as they have access to oyster shells that is good. Good Luck.

How does extra protein (dry cat food) help with thin shells? I understand that it takes a lot of protein to produce eggs, but I didn't think that the amount of protein had much to do with shell thickness.

She will be 4 years old in April. Eggs weren't always like this, only in the last year. We feed them layer pellets and they free range in the yard. No pesticides or fertilizers. They don't get many treats...occasional strawberry tops, other veggie/fruit scraps, weeds, etc. It's only her. The others, 3 the same age and the 6 month olds lay eggs with hard shells. Will try the cat food. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom