Weak goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by OutInTheStiks, Jul 10, 2010.

1. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    One of our embden geese attempted to hatch out goslings a few weeks ago. She kept breaking the eggs so we removed the dog house that she had been nesting in to break her broodiness. She looked rough when she emerged. She had lost weight and her feathers were a mess. She rejoined the rest of the flock and appeared to be back to normal. She ate, she drank, she hissed at the dog. She has been losing a lot of feathers, we assumed it was a molt brought on by the time she spent being broody. Today, she has been in the goose shed all day. She is very, very weak. We hadn't noticed any problems with her other than the feather loss until today. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what we should be doing?

2. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Whatever it was, it was quick. She passed away a few minutes ago. We'll be watching the others closely for any off behavior.

3. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I am so sorry to hear that. Did you notice any other symptoms? The only thing I could have advised would be to give her vitamins and heat, or an avian vet, so I couldn't have been much help. [​IMG]

4. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I am sorry to hear about your goose [​IMG] Mine have been losing alot of feathers again recently so she could have been molting. The molting process puts alot of stress on a goose's system. I have no idea if it is related at all but it could be possible in her weakened state from sitting so long it could have been too much on her system.

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Sorry you lost your goose. Bummer! [​IMG]
    It could be any number of things but did she ever get off the nest to eat and drink?
    She may of just starved to death.
    Some geese sit so tight you physically have to take them off the nest for a break
    so they will eat and drink.
    She also could of been calcium deficient.
    I had a goose get weak and lethargic after the laying season.
    Realizing I hadn't refilled their oyster shell container for awhile
    I refilled it plus added some kelp meal.
    After just 24 hours of eating the OS & Kelp she snapped out of it
    and was back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by