Weak legs Runner duckling 4 weeks old

GoneQuackersYYC

Chirping
Apr 24, 2023
Hi folks! Thanks for your help. I hatched 7 Trout Indian Runner ducklings. I sold 4 and kept 3. Sadly, one I sold passed away and then the buyer contacted me that her other three seemed to be having issues walking. Having raised runner ducklings before I know they can be a bit wobbly to start but one of hers was hardly walking at all though all three had issues. I have been giving mine nutritional yeast and unmedicated chick starter (Hi-Pro) and they didn't have issues. She was giving hers brewers yeast and a similar starter feed just a different brand (Country Junction). But they were in a small cage with food and water immediately beside them so I figured they just hadn't had motivation or space to move. I offered to take the ducklings back and rehab them. I've had all 6 for a week now, I have not observed any deformities or twisted limbs, etc. Two of the three have recovered well, a bit more wobbly than mine but visibly improved. But one, the biggest one, is persistently unwilling to walk unless prodded. He walks well, but tires quickly and will often refuse to move after a short time. See attached video. Even swimming he'll just float and not do much paddling.

I swim them at least twice a day in a big tote and they have access to a pool now during supervised outdoor time (usually 2-3 hrs in a larger space) which they can get in and out of themselves and it's shallow enough they can stand in it. They sleep in an 8'x6' space which I have been keeping food and water in at opposite sides to encourage movement (normally I don't keep feed/water in the coop).

Are there any other tricks I could employ to get this duckling moving more? Could it be neurological? He is definitely shaking when walking so I am leaning towards it being a weakness thing but I notice he often steps on his own feet and trips like he is very uncoordinated. He also seems to stand on his "knees" rather than his feet though when made to walk he uses his feet fine.

Normally I would start mixing starter and grower feed for week 5 but I'm concerned about him putting on weight too quickly without building strength. Thoughts?

What you need to do is start this duckling and the others if you want. Liquid B Complex TSC carries a good one called Durvet liquid B Complex, 1 ml over a tasty treat he needs full strength so give him his separate from the others. The bottle will say injectable but we use it orally.
This is the best treatment for one that is not responding to Nutritional yeast some just need the big guns.
Here is the info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I'd say watching the video this is def Niacin deficiency.

What you need to do is start this duckling and the others if you want. Liquid B Complex TSC carries a good one called Durvet liquid B Complex, 1 ml over a tasty treat he needs full strength so give him his separate from the others. The bottle will say injectable but we use it orally.
This is the best treatment for one that is not responding to Nutritional yeast some just need the big guns.
Here is the info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I'd say watching the video this is def Niacin deficiency.
Excellent! Thank you for the resources, definitely going to try this!

Maybe hold off for a week before then start changing gradually. Hopefully, you'll see improvement before the week is up. Liquid b complex has really been a miracle for so many ducklings having niacin deficiency. Of course it's best to catch it early but I sure would not say this duckling can't be helped.

Maybe hold off for a week before then start changing gradually. Hopefully, you'll see improvement before the week is up. Liquid b complex has really been a miracle for so many ducklings having niacin deficiency. Of course it's best to catch it early but I sure would not say this duckling can't be helped.
Thank you! I certainly hope he recovers fully 🤞

@lmalialis how are things going?
Much better! Thanks for asking ❤️ They're all walking well and seem motivated to move around now. The B Complex helped the two with the weakest legs, though giving it to them was challenging! I'm still giving them all nutritional yeast in their feed, I've just started mixing in grower. They're all interested in the pool and having no issue getting in and out. A few of them are still a bit wobbly but I think within the normal range for Runners. I'll take a video this evening when I put them to bed. They all race for the coop, it's hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom