Weak, lethargic, gasping

Justin17

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Ramsey, MN
Maybe a week old silver laced polish very weak and lethargic. Head buried in bedding. Fed her 1cc of water with sugar and pinch of salt. Seems to have helped as she’s tweeting up a storm.

she was getting trampled. Should I isolate her? Or keep her with her 4 others. No electrolyte formula on hand.

can I use pedialyte until store opens in morning?

Check for pasty butt, it's deadly fast and causes lethargy, heavy breathing, decreased appetite, discomfort.

Pedialyte is ok in a pinch.

I use a homemade recipe..
  • 1 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
Mix ingredients together and swirl until dissolved. Drip just below the nostrils and they will swallow when it rolls around into the mouth. Beak facing the bend in my forefinger helps direct the drip.. I've never yet aspirated a chick this way but have many by dipping beaks. If she isn't drinking.. dehydration is also life threatening.. administer a drop or so every half hour while your awake until you see improvement.

Also a pinch of salt substitute if you have it adds potassium chloride.

I don't spend money on electrolyte packs but absolutely will invest in either Poultry Nutri drench OR Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell product instead.

Also crush your feed extra fine as it really helps some chicks to connect with the food.

As a LAST ditch effort.. I would administer raw egg yolk as it's highly digestible and contains all the nutrient to sustain life. :fl

ETA: move her if you have another warm place at least until she stands up when getting trampled.

Check for pasty butt, it's deadly fast and causes lethargy, heavy breathing, decreased appetite, discomfort.

• 1 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
Mix ingredients together and swirl until dissolved. Drip just below the nostrils and they will swallow when it rolls around into the mouth. Beak facing the bend in my forefinger helps direct the drip.. I've never yet aspirated a chick this way but have many by dipping beaks. If she isn't drinking.. dehydration is also life threatening.. administer a drop or so every half hour while your awake until you see improvement.

I don't spend money on electrolyte packs but absolutely will invest in either Poultry Nutri drench OR Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell product instead.

Also crush your feed extra fine as it really helps some chicks to connect with the food.

As a LAST ditch effort.. I would administer raw egg yolk as it's highly digestible and contains all the nutrient to sustain life. :fl

ETA: move her if you have another warm place at least until she stands up when getting trampled.

awesome, thanks. And crap, I fed her 1 mL via 3 mL syringe. Too much? She finally stopped talking it so I assumed she was good.

she is still tweeting and walking around slowly now, trying to nuzzle herself into other chicks but still won’t eat.

I will try raw egg yolk. What about dissolving feed in water?

thank you for your help!

• 1 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda

And negative on the pasty butt. We check on them multiple times a day.

Back
Top Bottom