WEak little chick

Cchaka

Hatching
Mar 14, 2018
A few weeks ago I purchased three chicks from a local farmer. Two are barred Rock and one is a mixed breed ( barred rock and Unidentified father). The mixed breed chick, we will call her jo, has always been tinier than the other two but I have noticed they are growing and she isn’t. Last night she seemed weak and not as active as the others. I took her out of the brooder and she slept on my chest thinking she’s not getting enough heat. I tried to feed her as well and she didn’t eat. How can I get her to perk up and healthy? What’s going on with her? What can I do?

Difficult to say what disease she has. In cases like this, isolate the chick, keep her warm and dry. Unfortunately, once chicks decide not to eat, the disease process has progressed to far. However, good nursing care can bring back a chick if all it needs is calories. Once she is warmed, very carefully try to feed a liquid diet-hand feeding formula for birds is what I use as it has everything needed to help a chick survive: easily digested calories. Try feeding her a couple of drops every hour or so. Please be aware that there is a possibility of choking the chick or causing aspiration pneumonia if the liquid goes down the wrong 'pipe.' So take your time when feeding her and hopefully she will turn around for you.

Difficult to say what disease she has. In cases like this, isolate the chick, keep her warm and dry. Unfortunately, once chicks decide not to eat, the disease process has progressed to far. However, good nursing care can bring back a chick if all it needs is calories. Once she is warmed, very carefully try to feed a liquid diet-hand feeding formula for birds is what I use as it has everything needed to help a chick survive: easily digested calories. Try feeding her a couple of drops every hour or so. Please be aware that there is a possibility of choking the chick or causing aspiration pneumonia if the liquid goes down the wrong 'pipe.' So take your time when feeding her and hopefully she will turn around for you.
C
Difficult to say what disease she has. In cases like this, isolate the chick, keep her warm and dry. Unfortunately, once chicks decide not to eat, the disease process has progressed to far. However, good nursing care can bring back a chick if all it needs is calories. Once she is warmed, very carefully try to feed a liquid diet-hand feeding formula for birds is what I use as it has everything needed to help a chick survive: easily digested calories. Try feeding her a couple of drops every hour or so. Please be aware that there is a possibility of choking the chick

Can I buy the liquid feed from a local pet store?

Poultry Nutridrench...available at most farm stores and maybe a pet store.

How old are chicks?
How are you heating them?
Has this chick ever drank and eaten normally?

Back
Top Bottom