Weak Rooster???

MadisonC

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
Hey all, when it rains it pours. We had an almost all day event today and when we left early this morning the chickens were up moving around perfectly normal and fine. Well we returned home a little bit ago and I went to check the chickens for the night, and one of our roosters was acting funny. Real weak like, he was eating and drinking with the same vigor he always does, but was acting like he was having a little trouble getting around and standing.

Don't get me wrong, he is standing, and he will walk a little, but just not very much. We're having trouble with mites with him as he's the only chicken we have that doesn't dust himself super often and Diatomaceous earth doesnt seem to be helping him. So naturally I was worried about anemia or something but his waddles and comb are very bright red still and he's very alert like normal. I checked for bumblefoot but didnt see anything abnormal, irritated, or swollen on his feet.

I have noticed that outside when he was standing and eating he kept his left wing tucked normally but was holding his right wing out abnormally away from his body and spreading out his feathers on that wing. His poop is rather runny but other than that I'm not seeing any indicators of possible parasites.

It was very hot today, could the heat have gotten to him? If anyone needs more info I'll be glad to answer, I just want our sweet boy to finally be okay :(

TL;DR: Rooster appearing weak after long hot day with access to plenty of shade and multiple waters. Gave a general once over for bumble, anything possibly broken, or any wounds but found nothing. Waddles and comb bright red as normal but has trouble standing it seems and runny poop.

Do you have any electrolytes to put in his water, or something like NutriDrench? Gatorade or Pedialyte will do in a pinch. Give him some electrolytes orally, and try to get him drinking. If you have a plastic dishpan or similar, stand him in some tepid water to cool his legs in case he is having heatstroke. Dehydration can certainly cause these problems, but I would watch him carefully for additional symptoms, or any neurological signs. Do you have fans in your coop and good ventilation? If he is young or one of several, the others can prevent them from getting enough to eat and drink. I always keep shaded water in 3-4 places for the more meek birds, or if I have young cockerels around. Hopefully he will be better tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom