Weak shakey legs

MelissaB

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 5, 2007
One of my 6 month old RIR hens has had weak shakey legs for over a month now. I have posted this topic before but thought I would try again. She has trouble walking and getting up and down. She is still eating and drinking just fine. She was still laying up to a week ago but I am not sure now. Her color is fine and her wings flap in unison when she is falling. Her neck is also moving fine. She was vaccinated before I got her. I have been giving her electrolytes and vitamins. She is not getting any better and her legs seem to be getting weaker. Any thoughts on what this could be?

You should only be giving electrolytes when the bird is dehydrated (or this is suspected) or in shock...giving it for extended periods unnecessarily is not a wise thing to do.
What are you feeding your bird?
I would suggest you put this bird on a good general supplement (I would suggest AviaCharge 2000 as it is the only one I know that is complete >you can order online from McMurrays or strombergs) I would also suggest you give three drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins) in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next. These two measures should address any possible deficiency issues.

Last edited:
I am feeding the birds layer feed. I also give them a variety of kitchen scraps and scratch periodically.

well that sounds ok (long as you do not give too many treats as this will dilute the nutrition in their feed and make sure that what you give them is salt free) ...
There are so many things that can cause weak legs but a vitamin supplement will often help (as outlined in my post above)... It is also advised not to overdo the protein with leg problems so dont give any meat treats.

I started the vitamins and nothing yet. I did feel her legs for the first time today. (I generally do not have contact with the birds. They usually run out into their run when I am fussing around in their coop.) One of her legs felt strong and fine. The other leg felt different. It seemed a little hollow or rubbery.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom