1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

weak/sick little chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mollyh1234, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Mollyh1234

Mollyh1234 New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    We just got new chicks not to long ago and one of them is very weak. Shes about 5 days old and she wont open her eyes alot, she doesn't move, lays on her side weird and wont eat. We get her to drink water that has honey in it and she seems better for a little bit, but shes still really weak. She wont eat her food and wont eat anything else, she'll only take the water. The other chicks push her down and she isn't active. What can i do?
    We give her the honey water every hour to every other hour and sometimes she seems better but then kinda goes back to being super weak. Any tips?

Is she gonna die ? :(

2. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    i dont know if she will live stranger things have happened but it doesn't sound to good if she doesn't get better in another day i would just put her out of her suffering :(

3. woozle

woozle New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    She will no doubt die tonight, but try bringing her in and keeping her temperature at exactly 99-100, giving her a bit of water in a syringe, and maybe even go to sugar water--strong stuff, but just for a bit! Of course you've made sure her bum is clean, and she was introduced to water...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by