Weak weak WEAK Young Rooster

That's a lot for anybody, let alone a chicken to go through. He was lucky to have you in the time he was here. If you have kept him isolated and none of your other chickens are showing signs of illness, then I think I would just put him to rest and not send him off. That's just my opinion though. It doesn't hurt to have the piece of mind a necropsy would provide.

I'm sorry, I responded prior to reading the rest of the thread. So sorry for the awful experience. I wouldn't spend the money for a necropsy. In my ever so humble opinion, he probably had some sort of brain damage from the horse kick that could have caused swelling and ultimately seizures.

That's a lot for anybody, let alone a chicken to go through. He was lucky to have you in the time he was here. If you have kept him isolated and none of your other chickens are showing signs of illness, then I think I would just put him to rest and not send him off. That's just my opinion though. It doesn't hurt to have the piece of mind a necropsy would provide.
Thank you. He was my special boy. He'd come inside and cuddle up on my shoulder and watch TV with me. He was never right in the head, but I always loved him for it. He was the only chicken that would peck me and get away with it. We're burying him tomorrow...

It sure is difficult to lose any of our flock and just awful to see them suffer. The sad part of raising chickens is the loss that we encounter. Just remember that the happiness they bring you daily is worth the small amount of grief! Please keep us posted if you do have a necropsy and the results. He was loved!

I'm burying him, I think he deserves it. If any of the others get sick I'll send one off right away, but we have five chicks five adults and no one is showing signs of problems. Then again they are all growing right and weren't kicked by a horse.

I'm so sorry your little rooster passed away. I know that pain all too well. :(

You mentioned that you thought the AC gave him a cold? What made you think that?
Just so that you know, if he was showing any cold-like symptoms... sneezing, watery eyes or nose, raspy breathing, etc... chickens don't actually get colds, they get respiratory diseases. Most of them are very contagious to other chickens, so just keep a sharp eye on the rest of your flock just in case.

My best wishes to you.

Yes I was thinking the AC made it too cool for him in my room since it is summer. I keep it at 65 at night, I can't sleep otherwise. I cut my AC off every morning though so he and our squirrel babies could be warm while I'm at school. I was guessing a respiratory infection of sorts, but said cold to make it shorter, similar symptoms.

He was fine otherwise after the kick. She really just tossed him, he's so light that even with the force of a running horse after him, her leg basically picked him up, making him hit her stomach, then he rolled away. It dislocated his knee, which I wasn't able to tell real well till after he passed since he kept his leg stiff. He was still able to move it, but was slow doing it, and didn't use it. A day or two before passing he was almost walking. Then it just all went downhill.

You see, we bought him fully healthy. He was a purebred Orpington, the only crossing was that his sire was a Lavender and dam was a Black. Both were huge regular sized chickens. We bought him as a 3 month old. He grew about 3 or 4 inches, but that was it. He never grew much muscle mass, and couldn't fly at all. Never had any meat on his bones. He looked like he was starved, but the little Turkey head ate more than our others in proportion to body size. We have a small Bantam size hen who is a bit smaller than he was and she weighs more than he did. The only thing I can think of that happened traumatic was that (without my permission) my mom let him out with the big hens (our Alpha sex link hen and our docile Orpington) who were both 3 times his size and the alpha pecked him. She only hit his nose, just below his eyes, though. I remember the scar. That's when he began to slow in growth.

I separated him for 4 weeks and gave him a free amount of food and water. Nothing helped.

He hasn't been outside since the kick.

Back
Top Bottom