weard question but

henryetta

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
san diego, cali
is there something you can give or have done to a hen to keep her from producing eggs even if she's only 2 years old? I have a beautiful EE that i just love but danged it if she doesnt have a heck of a time laying decent eggs. MABIE she will have changed after this last molt, but im not guessing she will. She lays a few almost good ones then a soft one then gets bound up, i put her tail end under water, get an egg,,, and there we go again. Now, i will say that she was close to molting when she started this odd behavior, but is there something i can do to just have her as a pet without benifits..lol

Give her calcium. it won't make her stop laying eggs (nothing will) but it will make her eggs have better shells and keep her from getting eggbound (because it helps the muscles be stronger)

Do you give them free choice calcium aside from in their feed?

I have heard you can desex them, which would do the job but I wouldnt do that unless you had a vet nearby who is "egg-sperienced"
Have you tried giving her calcium to help harden the egg shell - - crushed oyster shell should work, or get some chicken egg shells, crush them and then put them in the oven for a while. One of my girls did that a while ago, but she straightened herself out over time with the extra calcium.
Good luck!

Last edited:
That's kinda like telling her not to breath.
lol.png

I have never heard of anything to stop a chicken from laying.....except high stress or dinner table.
Her diet, stress, bad genes, and other factors could contribute to her poor egg laying abilities.

yep on the calcium.. They have free choice oyster shell, and i also give yogurt with their eggshell crushed back up in that. I have eight hens with seven of them giving the hardest shells ever, so im wondering if she just doesent like the oyster shells or something and she holds back a bit on the 'extra' stuff like yogurt.. I will watch that. Really, if not, i wonder what the de-sexing would cost.. She's a cool bird i just hope it was the 'pre' molt, and 'post' molt.. causing this. Thanks for your input,,,and any more to come ;-)

Its probably best to try to get her to lay again, but my nannas chicken got incredibly egg-bound with infection and one of the options was to desex her. Unfortunately it was incredibly expensive, so she tried to save her by giving her antibiotics, but she died several days after
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom