Wearing red around rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Primo, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Just an anecdote to share, My wife went to get eggs a couple days ago and our free range maran rooster attacked her leg from behind. When she told me about it I noticed she was wearing a bright red overcoat. I knew chickens were attracted to red so I told her that maybe he thought she was a big red rooster.
    Sure enough, today I went out to get eggs with my LL Bean red "brawny man" shirt on and he went nuts. Came at me twice, at which point I booted him into the electric fence. He then ran off. I started flapping my shirt like big red wings to see his reaction, he went nuts again. Put on a grey shirt, he acted like I wasn't even there (normal). I actually wan't him to get more aggressive than he has been (flock protection) Just thought this was interesting

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have a rooster that doesn't like cell phones. The only time he's ever flogged me was while I was on a cell phone when checking for eggs. The second I put the phone away, he had no more issue - and has never flogged me again after that, and it was 3 years ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by