Weasel attack - Injured hen

wizard15

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2023
Pennsylvania
Morning everyone!!

Yesterday morning I was met by one of the worse things chicken owners fear when letting their hens out, a weasel had got into a small crack in the eves and taken out my flock. My biggest hen was laying on the ground, still, which is why I think she is still alive. We took her out and assessed her damage and it looks like just superficial wounds and some bruising on her face and waddler. Her crop felt squishy and nothing hard on her body, which seemed like good signs. She layed an egg in her quarantine pen. I got her to take a few drinks of water and some small amounts of her favorite treat, sweet potatoes. As the night progressed, she seemed to be more exhausted. We tried different things to get her to eat and drink but she didn't seem too interested.
This morning I went to check on her and she was roosting and she passed a yolk with some watery poop and she just looks stressed and in pain. Her waddler on the one side looks bruised possibly while the other one is a dark pink/red.
Is there something I can give her to help with the pain? Should we try and give her water via a syringe? Should I be concerned about a broken egg internally since she passed a yolk, maybe start antibiotics?
This is the first time dealing with this kind of injury in my small flock, we had a fox attacks and got through that but never a beaten up hen. I hate seeing my chicks in pain or suffering. I want to give them the best care possible and make sure she comes through.
Side note: Mr weasel returned to the coop that night and was met by his fate. Our ladies have been avenged!!

Is there something I can give her to help with the pain?
Metacam.

Be very thorough in checking her over for puncture wounds. They can be very hard to spot under the feathers.

Water/vitamin supplements via syringe are good if she isn't drinking on her own. Better to encourage her to both drink and eat normally.

I would not give antibiotics unless you can find an open wound. They are likely to interfere with her gut health which on top of the shock and injuries may slow down her recovery.

Metacam.

Be very thorough in checking her over for puncture wounds. They can be very hard to spot under the feathers.

Water/vitamin supplements via syringe are good if she isn't drinking on her own. Better to encourage her to both drink and eat normally.

I would not give antibiotics unless you can find an open wound. They are likely to interfere with her gut health which on top of the shock and injuries may slow down her recovery.
We lifted a lot of her feathers around her neck. I cleaned and sprayed the affected area with poultry vetericyn. I'll look her over again tonight to be sure.
Any suggestion for pain management?

We lifted a lot of her feathers around her neck. I cleaned and sprayed the affected area with poultry vetericyn. I'll look her over again tonight to be sure.
Any suggestion for pain management?
Metacam/ Meloxicam
dsc_3215.jpg

Update on our hen: She hasn't been eating or drinking on her own. We tried a variety of different foods she loves but she won't touch them. She looks interested but seems to shy away. Her one side of her face is bruised and a little swollen. I got about 2 CC of water with supplements in her via syringe drinking until she had enough of that.
For pain management, I tried putting some baby aspirin (approx 14 mg broken up) in water and give her some of that. It didn't go so well since she was already fed up with us giving her water previously. I don't have any way to get metacam or I would use that.
It has been the first full 48 hours since the attack and I'm getting very concerned with her not eating or drinking, she didn't poop last night I'm assuming because she has emptied out her system yesterday. She seems like she is there in mind but really hurting. I know this was a very traumatic event for her loosing all her flock mates and being hurt. She is currently roosting in a dark corner hidden from any bit of light.
Any other suggestions for pain management that I can get from TSC or Rural King that can be administered via injection or any other suggestions?
Any suggestions for food intake?
I'm worried she won't make it too long without food. :(

Another update: Eagle is still not acting herself. We got her to drink for a few days then she reverted back to not eating or drinking. She is constantly adjusting her crop, which is a concern. We get her outside when we get home. She still goes through the chicken motions and tries to forage, which gives us hope. Also her poop is yellowish and mucus filled. Maybe an infection? Should we start antibiotics? Picture is attached
0ACFC0D2-21EB-4F3B-8ED2-E9E6A6EB4F20.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom