Weasel attack SURVIVOR! HELP!! Gasping!

Alderidgefarm

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2019
Anacortes
My faverolle chinook survived a weasel attack where he had her throat and ear and I had her other end. I was Gentle and I got them separated
She immediately vomited a big clot of blood and I got her inside

she’s got injuries I treated to her ear and slight on the back of her neck I can’t see much else,no bruises No other open wounds
Here’s the issue: she’s gasping for breath and now she’s developing discharge in her mouth a bit, a few days after the attack, her stools are getting pure white and indicate oversaturation. So where do I go from here?
She won’t eat or drink But she’s active and can perch and it seems like the only issue now is the breathing and an empty crop because she is hating being fed.
*I have had to syringe feed her diluted denegaurd ( last two days and no more)
* I give her diluted electrolyes and chicken liquid vitamins
* I’m slowly trying to introduce food but she has trouble and panicked when fed or syringe fed anything ( yes I’m feeding slow droplets) I think her throat may have internal trauma to her air sac or something. I will attach pictures I can’t figure out video ( she gurgles and you can hear air having a hard time getting where it needs to but not all the time)
HELP! What else can I do for her she deserves her life and is fighting!
She’s cozy on me or in front of my heater in the house
Please help!

Attachments

• A024FDFB-CE58-40B5-9BC8-454D3EFC76F8.jpeg
    A024FDFB-CE58-40B5-9BC8-454D3EFC76F8.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 54633DE3-BDA0-477D-93BB-8AF630C4DEDC.jpeg
    54633DE3-BDA0-477D-93BB-8AF630C4DEDC.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 16
  • A99874DC-FD94-4707-91E7-AA03D01956D2.jpeg
    A99874DC-FD94-4707-91E7-AA03D01956D2.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Poor thing! What a shock this must have been to you as well.

Sounds to me like there is internal bleeding. There is probaby not much you can do that you are not doing at the moment. Keep her inside, warm and offer her the electrolytes. She might bounce back from all this but I would be prepared to help her from suffering if it gets too bad. The last picture is really traumatic. Looks like she is fighting to breathe.

Poor thing! What a shock this must have been to you as well.

Sounds to me like there is internal bleeding. There is probaby not much you can do that you are not doing at the moment. Keep her inside, warm and offer her the electrolytes. She might bounce back from all this but I would be prepared to help her from suffering if it gets too bad. The last picture is really traumatic. Looks like she is fighting to breathe.
Yes it’s odd and now she’s sleeping and isn’t gasping at all! I don’t get it but I know once she’s up and awake she will do it again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 17
Yes it’s odd and now she’s sleeping and isn’t gasping at all! I don’t get it but I know once she’s up and awake she will do it again
It almost sounds like, she just gets so tired from struggling to breathe that she falls asleep or maybe just passes out from exhaustion and lack of full oxygen. It's hard to watch, especially when we love them so much, I know first hand. I will pray for the best for the both of you, but just realize also she may be injured badly beyond what you can see. I would get her to a vet asap that deals with birds. *hugs* Hang in there, and please keep us posted. I know you are doing everything you can so far for her.

I began tube feeding her and I’m not going in the trachea but she seems to be struggling to catch air sometimes here and there
Wonder if there was damage done when she coughed up the clot when she was attacked
It was pure red gelatinous tissue so I’m not sure what may have happened but she’s hanging in there

So sorry for your bird. It does sound like she may have some internal injuries. Chickens are amazingly resilient. Hopefully with TLC she will be okay. I would also see if you could get her on an antibiotic. Good luck.
Would denegaurd be a good enough antibiotic?

Back
Top Bottom