Weasel in the coop rafters šŸ˜«

Nov 30, 2021
Long story short: my friend is away, there are a few of us checking on her chickens while she's away. Today I ran into someone leaving the coop/chicken check and she showed me a video of a small white stoat or weasel in the RAFTERS of the person part of the coop and asked if I knew what it was. Ohhhh I was like WHAT THE oh hell no this is not good. It is separated by chicken wire. Now, this is not my coop and Iknow that there is a lot to be done on hers to make it safer but in the mean time - if by god's grace I do not fine a blood bath tomorrow morning when I check on the chickens, how do I catch a weasel or get it away? Of Course she is stressed as she's finding out about this while she's out of the country on holiday. I'm very worried about her birds tonight :(

Please advise.

I'd be really worried about them too!
Hardware cloth, not chicken wire, keeps predators out, and that's hard to buy and install tonight. A live trap set up, if you have access to one rat sized, or rat traps may work.
Can those birds be placed in a safe place immediately? Dog crates work fine, and roosting birds are easy to catch. Also easy for that weasel...
Mary

I'd be really worried about them too!
Hardware cloth, not chicken wire, keeps predators out, and that's hard to buy and install tonight. A live trap set up, if you have access to one rat sized, or rat traps may work.
Can those birds be placed in a safe place immediately? Dog crates work fine, and roosting birds are easy to catch. Also easy for that weasel...
Mary
I know, this is my worry! I don't have access to a car til tomorrow morning when I go back to check on them. If I had spare hardware cloth I would have ran it right over there today before work. I know it needs to be fortified - I told her I can help her when she gets back and we'll make it rat /weasel/ predator proof. My friend has a live trap, raccoon size, I can borrow but I think the wire is spaced too far apart. Is there any chance her rooster would be able to defend ? I know I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.

I think you only have two choices until your friend comes back; move the chickens or stay in the coop with them overnight.
You're not going to be able to trap it quickly I would have thought and I can't see trying to make the coop more secure happening quickly either.
sadly not an option, I can't get back there til the morning :(
I am really hoping they make it through the night and at least I can try and figure out where it got in and seal it up first thing tomorrow. I have no idea where I could move these chickens, she has 13 of them. I am in town so I have only a tiny coop with 2 chickens. She is back on Wednesday. Wahhh this is so upsetting.

Birds won't be able to do anything except get killed while roosting in the dark!
Can you get anyone over there now, or get someone to take you there? If not, this is not your fault! The bird owner is responsible for her flock's safety, and apparently missed on this, really sad.
Many of us learned the hard way that our chickens weren't adequately protected, especially at night.
Mary

Birds won't be able to do anything except get killed while roosting in the dark!
Can you get anyone over there now, or get someone to take you there? If not, this is not your fault! The bird owner is responsible for her flock's safety, and apparently missed on this, really sad.
Many of us learned the hard way that our chickens weren't adequately protected, especially at night.
Mary
I am not able to get there until about 8am tomorrow morning. Of course a weasel comes in when she's away, seems like Murphy's law! I know my friend is very upset about this and she's far away, we've been keeping her updated :( Let's hope and pray they get through the night and are okay in the morning. I really really really hope they're ok.

I am not able to get there until about 8am tomorrow morning. Of course a weasel comes in when she's away, seems like Murphy's law! I know my friend is very upset about this and she's far away, we've been keeping her updated :( Let's hope and pray they get through the night and are okay in the morning. I really really really hope they're ok.
I was across the country when I had my first raccoon encounter with my birds (which we shouldnt have had in our area either anyhow). It Fing sucks, but it's understandable that there's just not a lot that can be done, unfortunately. But I guess at least should the worst happen, you'll all know what it was. The first few nights me and my friend had the issue, I was so afraid that they had a disease that was killing them off. Hopefully everything's okay tomorrow morning

Back
Top Bottom