Weasels getting to metal tub

4910chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2021
Embarrass, mn
I'm gonna raise my baby chicks in a metal tub 2 ft H x 2 ft W x 4 ft long. It will be in a pole barn but weasels can get in the barn. Has anyone ever had a weasel climb up the side? I'm gonna be putting a wire mesh top on it but hoping it won't interfere with the warming light.

Make a frame for the hardware cloth that will sit over the brooder, so nobody can get into it. Ours is set up that way and works very well. No openings larger than 1/2" anywhere!!!
Anything less secure and your chicks won't live long.
Mary

I'm gonna raise my baby chicks in a metal tub 2 ft H x 2 ft W x 4 ft long. It will be in a pole barn but weasels can get in the barn. Has anyone ever had a weasel climb up the side? I'm gonna be putting a wire mesh top on it but hoping it won't interfere with the warming light.
I would trap it put meat bait in a dog cage than trap it and shot the weasels or kill it somehow. Cover the cage with a cloth. You can even call anmail control and get rid of it.

Weasels are visiting because there's food there: rats and mice, and rabbits outside. Rats will also kill your chicks if they can get in the brooder, as will every other predator living nearby.
Our barn cats have always left the rats to us, and only worked on mouse patrol. Trap the weasel, and have more rodents, also not good.
Some critter control measures may be necessary, depending on what's really going on.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom