Weather emergency info?

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
With hurricane season begining (East Coast) I always try to plan ahead for the hurricanes so that if we have to evacuate it will not be a spur of the moment confusing evacuation and I end up forgetting everything. I keep all of our important documents in zip lock bags in my G.O.O.D (Get Out Of Dodge) bag and anything we would take with us is packed and ready to grab and go if needed for a quick evacuation. We keep a small bag each ready to take as well, just incase, never needed it yet
wink.png
I have a box set aside for our pets (3 dogs & 2 cats) and pet crates in my van for them as well. Dont worry most of the stuff will be in the roof rack carrier, people & pets only inside of van LoL! This year I will have 4 hens, and this is my first year with chickens so I have to adjust our evacuation plans. Do I take the girls with me if we have to evacuate? I would never leave my other pets so I assume I'd be taking the girls as well right? If I am taking the girls what do I take for them? Do you think they could be kept in an XL dog crate for the evacuation? I have a list of pet friendly hotels I can stay at but I really don't think chickens are on the list of acceptable pets for the room LoL! I have never had to look into it so I dont know? If I am supposed to leave the girls behind
sad.png
what preperations should I make for them? Also in the event of a hurricane we dont evacuate for (cat 1-2) what should I do to protect the girls? I have a garage, should I crate them in there or let them roam freely in there so they dont peck at each other during the storm? Like I said this is my first year, so I have never had to leave them to go on vacation or anything so Im really hoping for detailed opinions if possible.
The area I live in (SE Virginia) really doesn't get hit that often (knocking on wood) but I like to be prepared anyways, better safe than sorry. What would you do? Thank you so much, as always all opinions & suggested are greatly appreciated
big_smile.png

I wouldn't leave them in an emergency. On vacation you'll need to find somebody to come feed and water them.

Dog crates are fine. If you think it's going to be for an extended period, then individual dog or cat crates may avoid some problems.

A small trailer would come in handy. I wouldn't put the pets back there for long rides on bumpy roads, but with a tarp tented over it, parked in the shade, it's a good place to keep the animals besides in the vehicle or inside a motel.

For storms where you will stay at home, if you think the winds will be too much for the coop just put them in the garage.

Ok cool, I thought the same thing but wanted to make sure. Hubby thinks Im crazy for wanting to take any of the animals in an emergency but he is military and is usually either deployed during hurricane season or deploys when hurricanes are comming. I could never leave any of my pets, it might be uncomfortable but I wont leave any behind. Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom