Weavers Speak

OK I'm going to reopen this thread. My husband showed up one night last month with a 4 shaft/6 treddle Harrisville floor loom. I couldn't wait to get at it. I wove one sample piece of fabric with some yarn that came with the loom, it looks like burlap. Today in the mail I received my first order of yarn. It is 8/2 cotton along with a few others, and I am going to start with kitchen towels. I calculated how much yarn I will need for three towels in one warping and have the yarn on the warping board. It took three hours to wrap about 1700yards. Ready....set.....GO!

Alright Jenjscott!! I would love to see work in progress.

The only weaving I've done is on frame looms, triangle looms, twining and 2 heddle looms. Before the end of the year I should have at least my Harrisville Design T-60 up and ready to weave on for the first time since I bought it used almost 7 years ago.

Congrats on the new loom. I do not have room for a floor loom. Now that fall is here and winter around the corner I will be working even more on my tapestry loom. It is amazing the many different types of looms there are from all over the world.

Here's what I got done so far this evening after finishing the beaming. Also an angle shot so you can see the texture of the material. I'm having trouble with the sides drawing in, but not expected was the way they pack the warp in so tight that the edges curve up from not being able to pack the weft in.

10901_dscn0421.jpg

10901_dscn0420.jpg

Wow, so much happens in such a short time. I now have another loom, a Union 36 for rugs. And haven't finished my towels yet!

Union 36 by jenjscott, on Flickr

Knit rope by jenjscott, on Flickr

And for Christmas my kids teamed up and got DH and I a spinning wheel. Of course, since I'm weaving, that means he gets to do the spinning, right? Also got some rovings and some home spun yarn and a niddy noddy. I think I understood that MullersLaneFarm had something to do with this. think DD#1 Buffbeauty was the ramrod on this deal.

Spinning wheel by jenjscott, on Flickr

I inherited a schacht spindles table top loom from my great aunt when she passed away and I have no idea how to use it. It's the size for placemats, table runners, dish cloths. We don't have a guild or classes in my area
sad.png
My parents live in a bigger community so I'm going to spend a few weeks down there learning some. I'm so excited!!!

Back
Top Bottom