Weavers Speak

cybercat

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
Greeneville, Tn
Hi there who all weaves and what type?

I am working and learning tapestry. Have owned my loom since 99 but started working on it back in 07. I had learned growing up frame weaving and got to spend time on a big fabric loom. Now I own a mirrix 32 that I just use for traditional tapestery weaving.

In our area we have many spinners and weavers. Then again many grow their own wool here.

On a similar note, I recently ordered alpaca hair for a christmas craft project and I gotta give anyone who works with that a lot of credit. The box I received looked like someone scalped a colony of troll dolls. Complete with poo, leaves and twigs! Would love to learn to weave but know I will never have the time.

We have a few alpaca raisers here that spin their hair. But what you got was not what i have heard from others ordering in spinning wool.

On a another note we have a weaving/ yarn store opening in town. Owner is a spinner and tapestry weaver. Really nice i hope we get a local guild going.

Hi--I have had a spinning wheel for a long time and never did get too proficient at it. Someday I want to start again...maybe when I am 80? I have about 10 bags of wool out in the rafters from my sheep and a neighbor's....just waiting to be cleaned and carded. I guess then I will need to learn to dye it and also to knit...indoor projects I guess...Terri O

I learned to weave many moons ago -- four and eight harness floor looms. It's been 20 years, though, since I'd woven on anything other than a scaled down hand loom.

This fall, though, I was GIVEN an old four harness loom.
smile.png
I do have some minor work to do & need to order some new reeds. Hmm. Maybe THAT should be part of my Christmas spending.
wink.png

I can remember the weaving portion with no problem. It will take me a while to relearn how to warp the loom. Thank goodness I kept all my weaving patterns & books. Many folks would have told me to "declutter" them since I hadn't used them in 20 years. Those patterns that I loved would be pretty irreplaceable for me, though.

I have woven a little on a 4 to 8 harness loom. But I perfer my upright tapestry loom wwhich is just 2 shed. I plan on learning navajo rugs some time and maybe do a rag rug. But for now it is traditional taestry on my mirrix loom.

Terri you might look up the Handweavers guild and find your local chapter. They often have spinning classes as well as basic 4 loom weaving classes. Some do have the tapestry or rug classes also.

Nearly forty years ago, at a farm auction, I bought an OLD 1940's Sears rug loom, jack set up/ 8 harness. I had four small children then and that loom many times gave me the peace and quiet I needed. The loom was pine and in time the beams warped, iron parts wore, and I couldn't maintain tension. I loved the "dance" of weaving, sending the shuttle back and forth and watching a fabric grow before my eyes. I made rugs, place mats, and toweling. I've thought about buying a Swedish loom now in retirement, but I no longer can get down on my knees to dress/warp the loom like I used to do, so I've purchased a wonderful new sewing machine and I quilt instead. However, whenever someone mentions weaving, I get rather misty remembering how much I loved it. ~G

Quote:
Sounds like you need a table loom! They make some pretty nifty table looms.
smile.png
I've coveted after a few of them myself.

It's been so many years since I've warped a loom. I'm dreading relearning that part. Ah well, won't be messing with it any time soon. Need to buy a new reed first, probably. This one is a bit rusty.

Back
Top Bottom