Website - diagnosis, clinical signs, and necropsy PHOTOS

They have fungus on their combs. I did not take a photo of the roos but one of my missing hens came back today and she has it too...cept it looks like it is on her nose as well and she lacks the white areas...just black spots. I have a pic of that. Tomorrow I am moving everyone to a new coop on the property.

Roos were all 8 mos...weighed 6.5-7lb. Fed layer 18% and feed store corn mix 16%. they get half and half.

ETA: they were not gaining weight well so we switched the scratch to the corn mix. They are on their third bag. So they have eaten that for around 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:
I have a baby chick a couple days old and she is sick idk what is wrong with her... She is hardly moving, right now she wont open her eyes for nothing. I tride giving her sugar water, but she wont really drink it and she dosn't have enuff strangth to move. (sorry about my spelling.) I don't know what to do about her. I tride everything. Im not shure what to do. I just got them today and im gonna cry if i lose her. I get attached to easy.. what should i do?. :(

I have a baby chick a couple days old and she is sick idk what is wrong with her... She is hardly moving, right now she wont open her eyes for nothing. I tride giving her sugar water, but she wont really drink it and she dosn't have enuff strangth to move. (sorry about my spelling.) I don't know what to do about her. I tride everything. Im not shure what to do. I just got them today and im gonna cry if i lose her. I get attached to easy.. what should i do?. :(

I feel so bad for you. I don't know what to do. It sound like she just might pass on. If you just got them she may have come with whatever is ailing her. I hear some chicks just don't make it. You have the heat lamp right? How are the others doing?

Just a random thought. Did you have them tested for histamonas? Black spots on the liver is usually a sign of that disease. Idk why it took me so long for that to click, I wrote a massive paper on it just like 3 months ago..

I didn't have these checked for anything. Early in nov/dec several died. I sent one to the lab and it came back inconclusive. No bacteria, no fungus. I would have posted the results on the thread I started for that but it is too pic heavy for me to open it.

The chickens have all been doing pretty well since I sent that last one off for necropsy. Not as vibrant as summertime but I think they are okay.

There were no black spots on the livers of the ones I checked. Only white spots/blotching along with the red streaks. I think you were right on fatty liver syndrome. Everyone seems okay right now. I have removed them from the feed (coincidentally the SAME feed I was using when they were dying) and returned them to plain layer pellet. I won't be going back to that milling company food.

Thanks for thinking about this!

Glad they are doing better! For some reason I thought you had said black spots. I definitely would stay away from that feed!
And no prob! I would hate losing mine to a mystery, any info is better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom