Website Stalker turned member!

amfris2

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Hi! My name is Amanda. I was visiting a farm store with a friend one day when we came upon oodle of ducklings and chics. I told my roommate that night that she was lucky I didn't come home with some that night only to return the next day to get my first flock. I have two joined flocks now, losing a few along the way. My crew consists of three chickens (I honestly don't know what type they are, one red (Runaway) and two black (Cuddle Bug and Midge)) and three ducks (two Khaki Campells (male (Spazz) and female (Juliet)) and one Peking (male (Klutz))).

I recently had to move out of my own home and back in with my parents. I'm a lucky girl that they agreed and have come to love my extended family!!!

My female duck just started laying yesterday. I created my own incubator out of a styrofoam container. My female didn't seem to want to nest on her eggs, however, everyone shares one coop and the first egg was stomped on. The second egg was also stomped but got out without a crack.

Besides incubating these ducks eggs my next biggest concern is storing everyone for the winter. I purchased a duck diaper for my Peking duck (he has been ostracized by the male Khaki) so that I can bring him in for the winter. I have a friend that is planning on taking the two Khaki Campbells in for the winter. Any tips for keeping the chickens and/or the ducks outside for the winter would be welcome.

So glad to be a part of a community that shares my quirky interests.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

You will need to build a weather-proof coop for your birds, that provides protection from the elements. Look in the Learning Center for more information on raising and keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom