Website Stalker turned member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amfris2, Sep 22, 2013.

1. amfris2

amfris2 New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    Hi! My name is Amanda. I was visiting a farm store with a friend one day when we came upon oodle of ducklings and chics. I told my roommate that night that she was lucky I didn't come home with some that night only to return the next day to get my first flock. I have two joined flocks now, losing a few along the way. My crew consists of three chickens (I honestly don't know what type they are, one red (Runaway) and two black (Cuddle Bug and Midge)) and three ducks (two Khaki Campells (male (Spazz) and female (Juliet)) and one Peking (male (Klutz))).

I recently had to move out of my own home and back in with my parents. I'm a lucky girl that they agreed and have come to love my extended family!!!

My female duck just started laying yesterday. I created my own incubator out of a styrofoam container. My female didn't seem to want to nest on her eggs, however, everyone shares one coop and the first egg was stomped on. The second egg was also stomped but got out without a crack.

Besides incubating these ducks eggs my next biggest concern is storing everyone for the winter. I purchased a duck diaper for my Peking duck (he has been ostracized by the male Khaki) so that I can bring him in for the winter. I have a friend that is planning on taking the two Khaki Campbells in for the winter. Any tips for keeping the chickens and/or the ducks outside for the winter would be welcome.

So glad to be a part of a community that shares my quirky interests.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You will need to build a weather-proof coop for your birds, that provides protection from the elements. Look in the Learning Center for more information on raising and keeping chickens.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC from Washington! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] head for the section Other backyard poultry which includes ducks, geese, turkeys etc. for better advice on ducks.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. amfris2

amfris2 New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    Thank you for the warm welcomes and tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by